reverse osmosis

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johny99

Hello,

when doing a water change on a established reef tank (55 gallon) is R/O necessary. We are on well water that has worked great on our fresh water tanks. I have read that R/O is necessary on all water changes. Seems complicated.

thanks Roger

On a well it may be even more necessary than city water. A lot of people use rodi and some don't. Measure your tds that will tell you somewhat how bad or good your water really is. Tds is a decent guide but a lab test is even better.

Don

On a well it may be even more necessary than city water. A lot of people use rodi and some don't. Measure your tds that will tell you somewhat how bad or good your water really is. Tds is a decent guide but a lab test is even better.

Don

thanks, Our community well is tested by a lab so I will find out what's in the water

You know how they say don't put a freshwater tank next to a window or you will have algae problems the reason is the light. Lighting in a freshwater tank is very different then that of a Reef tank. The light is more intense so if you have the other food you might say Phosphates then Algae will grow and not just a little. This is the difference between reef and freshwater with fresh you don't have that intense light which algae needs to grow. I hope that makes a little sense lol. That is why RO/DI is so important we are basically starving the Algae removing elements (Phosphates and silicates) to make it grow. The tap water or even well water has these so by using RO/DI you are stripping them out of the water.

G&N that is the best way I have heard it explained. I have always done freshwater tanks and wonder why it was such a big deal for saltwater tanks to use ro/di water now I understand.

Brian

Thank you lol I learned the hard way using tap and I hope others don't have to go thru what I went thru so I tried to explain the simplest and easiest to understand :)

You know how they say don't put a freshwater tank next to a window or you will have algae problems the reason is the light. Lighting in a freshwater tank is very different then that of a Reef tank. The light is more intense so if you have the other food you might say Phosphates then Algae will grow and not just a little. This is the difference between reef and freshwater with fresh you don't have that intense light which algae needs to grow. I hope that makes a little sense lol. That is why RO/DI is so important we are basically starving the Algae removing elements (Phosphates and silicates) to make it grow. The tap water or even well water has these so by using RO/DI you are stripping them out of the water.

What Kind of R/O system do I need and where should I purchase it from?

there are many places to buy on the internet even look under ebay I think the guys are called the filter guys but I know some people have bought from them. I bought my unit from Air Water and Ice a sponsor on this site. Their units are very well made and easy set up and they have wonderful customer service. Here's a link to one of their units http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOON/Typhoon_5_stage_RODI_Reefkeeper_75_GPD.html

They make setting up very very simple basically plug and play. Also if you are a member of the PSAS you get a 10% discount.

I just thought of something Barrier Reef is having a big sale the weekend of the 30th-31st and they may have units on sale wouldn't hurt to ask.

Back