ricordia growing but not splitting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johnpeezy

Banned
Do they even split?

I have a ricordia florida thats the size of my hand now the sucker probably has about 15 mouths on it, but it dosn't split. It just gets bigger and bigger, I have a twenty gallon tank, its making me run out of room. Do i have to cut the up with a razor knife or something or will it seperate on its own?

anyone know?

A big one with 15 mouths? WOW that is amazing! It is worth more than 15 single mouth little ones so count your blessings.
If you want to have it split, move the rock it is on away from his happy place. He will move to the new spot and split in the process.

Well done on the happy Ric!

no some never split. Giants like yours are uncommon most split at a much smaller size. I have seen some rics get large with many mouths and then within a week split up into individual polyps.

lol I actuially have two of them that are actually pretty good sizedThere not on anylive rock ta all, still attached to the frag pulgs I got them on there on the bottom of the tank in a bed of crushed coral but they don't seem to like it. They just hang out on the frag plug like a little island oasis the other one is approxmiatley the size of a tennis ball, not as many mouths but quite a few.

The biggest Ricordea florida I have ever seen is owned by a R. florida collector/diver located in Key West. It is 8 inches across with only one mouth. Yep, that is 8 inches. It has to be a world record.

man, you guys got me all curious wether or not I could take a picture of it so I go in there and look at when the lights are out and it definitly looks like its splitting now the a definite gap on the frag plug now that wasn't there a few days ago. I'll still post a pic of it when lights come on, but i think it may be splitting...

i bet its a florida..wow would love to have 1 huge piece of ric with that many mouth...i have an orange but only 5 mouths...

and +1 on pics:):D

man he split then shrunk a bit....I'll still get a picture of him and the other one which is now bigger then that guy.

Hes about the size of a tennisball.

apparently the two ricordia floridas I have are rare but I don't seem to have a problem getting them to get gigantic. (no idea what they like in my tank)

Back