Ricordia Propagation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MAGDRL Mom

Critters
Hi Anthony -

There are so many people jumping on the RBTA band wagon since your visit to Virginia Beach, we thought to focus on Ricordia. (We too will being doing RBTA's and green BTA's, but Hampton Roads has a plethora of prolific BTA's!)

In googling Ricordia Propagation, the only in depth article I found was from a guy that insists that one must use metal halides on prop tanks. Since that, in itself, screamed $$$, and goes against everything you endorse, I decided I would once again look to you.:razz:

I didn't find anything in your fav's about rics specifically.

What is your opinion on farming rics, the suggested prop cycle, if they are a candidate for greenhouse troughs, etc.

Additionally, we have an existing greenhouse that we are going to be making mods to for farming - I am not clear if having a central system for the sump and fuge will create warfare soup, or if having carbon or ozone will eliminate the warfare. I certainly don't want to do anything less than create an environment that supports healthy corals and lots of growth.:)

As it was, after your visit, I was devastated at the soup I had created in our 125 display and immediately took steps to group the like species, move stuff to the 55, and connect an Enaly Ozone thingy.

Thank you,

also, if you could direct me to where I can find information on the evaporated air cooling that you suggested for greenhouses.

if you are referring to Atlantic Ricordea florida (shallow water species) then you have your work cut out for you. They feed very little organismally and they do require extremely bright (expensive) lighting. Those two things add up to "hard to grow fast/profitable"

If you are referring to another Ricordea species... please detail.

For evaporative cooling in greenhouses, there is much to be seen/read at any greenhouse supplier website. Do keyword search my friend.

We are looking to do Atlantic Ricordea florida as well as Yuma in one section of the the greenhouse - since Atlantic require higher light, we thought to stack the tanks and put the Yuma on the bottom to attempt to replicate "deeper" water. We had hoped that in the greenhouse, we would need minimal supplemental lighting. We are at the beach so we receive some pretty intense sun.

This will only be one section of the greenhouse, other sections will be dedicated to different species (still in the planning and building stage) The plan, thus far is to have fast bulk cheap in 1/3, moderate in one third, and slow growing/higher end in 1/3.

We have researched and plan to upgrade evaporative cooling in the greenhouse, but you had mentioned a specific setup/drip configuration while in Virginia Beach.

ahhh... yes, I recall now. You are referring to using dessicants: Calcium chloride pellets (road salt variety) are placed on drip trays in front of the passive GH shutters to dry the incoming air and increase evaporative cooling.

ahhh... yes, I recall now. You are referring to using dessicants: Calcium chloride pellets (road salt variety) are placed on drip trays in front of the passive GH shutters to dry the incoming air and increase evaporative cooling.

Thank you - I could not remember that for the life of me!

What are your thoughts on stacking the FL on the yuma tanks in an attempt to replicate the different depths preferred by the species?

I want to confirm that even in a greenhouse, the Ricordia FL will still need MH's.

I am setting up a matrix for projected costs and a P&L analysis to determine how much space can be allotted per species and be profitable. Also I plan to set up cost centers for each species to clearly determine the profitability. I know it may be considered overkill - but until I have a feel for the finances associated with farming certain species it is the best way for me, personally, to keep an eye on the finances.

What are your thoughts on stacking the FL on the yuma tanks in an
attempt to replicate the different depths preferred by the species?

helpful but impossible to replicate in such a small amount of water. Your light meter will tell you so. There is a far greater range on the reef between such species.

I want to confirm that even in a greenhouse, the Ricordia FL will still
need MH's.

Only your light meter can tell you that. And if needed, its all the more reason why Ricordea are not profitable. They grow too slow and require too much energy for water flow and lighting. Shallow water corals are rarely good farming candidates.

Well then, back to the drawing board re doing a med grower. - I will do some Yumas and rics even if they are only for my own tanks and donating to the HRRC prop tank because I love them so much!

Today I did convince Reef Chief to split that sunflower anemone with me. It will have his very own system in a place of honor! Jeff said that you were saying it is actually a mushroom. I am doing my research tonight so I can properly prepare for its arrival.:razz:

Back