Ricordias and SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Shark

Killer Blenny
I have heard from a couple of people that one should not keep mushrooms in an SPS tank due to the high level of chemicals that they put off.

Is the same actually true for Ricordias since they are in the same family? (I think?)

Thanks,

Dan

Ricordia and other mushrooms are in different families, but the same order. There isn't really a reason any mushroom couldn't be kept with SPS. They will tend to like the lower light (shaded areas) of the tank more, and as long as there aren't a lot of them in there the chemicals won't be too much of a problem, especially with really good skimming and carbon filtration.

I have kept mushrooms and recordia in SPS tanks for a long time without major problems. In some cases, they my sting adjacent corals, but this is rare and may be the result of other factors.

Hello,
The only problem with keeping mushroom corals with SPS corals is physical contact. Due to their reproductive nature and their ability to move, mushroom corals over time will sting and kill most SPS (Hydnophora being an exception). So if you maintain a few inches of separation you will not have a problem.

HTH,
Kevin

Back