Rio pump help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

I have a Rio 1700 as a return pump for my tank. I cannot get the impeller to spin. I have soak everything and it is all clean. The impeller spins if it is not covered, however if I put the inside and outside cover on the pump it stops. I can loosen the covers it will spin. Do I need a new impeller? Any other ideas?

I have a Rio 1700 as a return pump for my tank. I cannot get the impeller to spin. I have soak everything and it is all clean. The impeller spins if it is not covered, however if I put the inside and outside cover on the pump it stops. I can loosen the covers it will spin. Do I need a new impeller? Any other ideas?

Rio's are known for that problem. I'd get a pump rather than fixing it over and over.

Don

I agree with Don. I have used rios before and all 4 of them have falled in one way or another in a short period of time. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality pump.

never used it myself but maybe someone else will chime in here.

I use a mag9 on my 58g w/20g sump on a super SCWD. How big is your tank/sump mmkeeper?

Eheim's are the only submersables I'll use from now on. Ive junked alot of pumps for one reason or another and the eheims are the only ones Ive been 100% happy with.

Don

mag pumps....!!

ive had mine for over a year... only cleaned once and it runs with out any issuses

Once you have a problem with a Rio get it out of the tank ASAP they have a problem with meltdown and polluting the whole tank with black yuk

i like the eheims pumps also, very reliable. i didn't know about the rio's so thanks for the info all.

rio pumps are garbage. they are only good when they are on sale and for use to mix salt in reservoir , EHEIM. good luck. jakleen

Back