Ritteri Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sad to say, the Ritteri didn't make it. I lost him sometime during the night.:(

Thanks for everyone's help and concerns.

Vicki

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you ever get it to eat? Are you sure your water parameter were in go shape? Are Ritteri's not good shippers or do you think they just sent you a sick one to start with? Where did you get it? I'd call and tell em to send me another one. I doubt it would do any good but I'd do it anyway. Again I'm sorry. :( Mike

I never did see the anemone eat. The clown sure tried though.
The anemone was never sticky and didn't even appear alive when it first arrived.

I did contact the place I'd purchased it at (LiveAquaria.com) and they did offer to send me another. I declined though and just took a credit. LiveAquaria is a wonderful place and I'm sure the anemone probably looked good when it was shipped. They are difficult shippers. If I ever brave it again to try another of the more difficult anemones, I hope to purchase it locally so it doesn't have to go through the shipping process (again).

My water parameters were in good shape and remained in good shape. I'd even picked up a WaveMaster Pro and three Maxi-Jet 1200's to improve on the water movement. All the anemone wanted to do was to lay on the bottom of the tank and preferred darkness over any light. I think he was doomed from the beginning.

It's always sad to loose such a beautiful creature.

Vicki

If he wasn't sticky (I think you also said that in and earlier post) he was doomed from the start and there was nothing you could have done to care for it. Thats one of the things to look for when buying an Anemone. I know you order yours and didn't get a chance to check for that. I noticed under your name (Anemone) do you have others? Mike

Last edited:
I do have a couple other Anemones. I find the relationship between clownfish and anemones fascinating. My initial plan for my 'big' tank was to have an anemone for every type of clownfish. I quickly have discovered that just doesn't work. <G>

I have a Green BTA in one tank with a number of clowns and a couple of Curly Q's in another tank.

Someday I'll have an anemone specific tank. :)

Vicki

Vicki said:
I do have a couple other Anemones. I find the relationship between clownfish and anemones fascinating. My initial plan for my 'big' tank was to have an anemone for every type of clownfish. I quickly have discovered that just doesn't work. <G>

I have a Green BTA in one tank with a number of clowns and a couple of Curly Q's in another tank.

Someday I'll have an anemone specific tank. :)

Vicki

Could you post a pic of the Green BTA?

Here's a shot of the GBTA with a pair of Cinnamon Clowns.
This camera just doesn't do justice to colors.

The Ritteri Anemone lives in very shallow water just like the Stichodactyla Gigantea and it's very difficult to duplicate it's environment in the home aquaria even with the most powerful lighting, they are just the most difficult Anemones to keep in captivity.

My anemone looks inverted – its mouth is inside out. What should I do?This behavior is normally a sign of extreme stress and/or near death for the anemone.Assuming that your tank environment is perfect, the only thing you can do is wait to see if your anemone can recover from whatever caused the stress in the first place.Occasionally this behavior is caused when an anemone is first added to a new system and when the anemone is not carefully and slowly acclimated. Hopefully the anemone will recover from its shock and live on to thrive in your system.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

Vicki, I found this pic it kinda looks like yours did.

19Ritteri.jpg

Last edited:
Back