RO/DI auto topoff question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jammet

I know most "home" RO systems have a sink attachment that you can use to fill things with water. On a RO/DI system for a tank could you attach it to an auto top off system so when it gets low the RO unit fills it back up to level. Now i know this may take a few minutes depending on the volume of water, but if you had a perfilled RO storage tank it would not take long at all.

The only problems with this idea is that if something is up with the RO unit is not doing its job 100% which could cause a problem, im not sure of anyone who tests their RO top off water though each and every time for everything.

The other problem I see is that the PH difference might be a problem but the tank should buffer that water out within a few seconds to the 8.+ ph that it needs. If you really wanted too you could drip the water in to a calc reactor or something else that would bump the PH up before it enters the water.

Let me know what you think.

Really nothing new and definatly a easy diy project. Just maintain the rodi and you wont have a problem. Some people use a spare tank and a pump others use a selenoid and run them direct. As long as you set up a fail safe either way works.

Don

I use an inexpensive unit from autotopoff.com (dual switch) and a 900 maxijet to deliver ro/di to the sump from an old salt bucket, and I fill the topoff bucket about once a week from a portable ro/di I set up on my washing machine. I buffer the topoff to a level that maintains my tank alk, so that takes care of one regular job. The whole rig cost less than 100.00.

Thanks, I was reading online today about having an RO/DI on a auto top off and how it could hurt the production and cause "leeching TDS" due to the on off effect of the auto top off. I can understand how that could become a problem in that sort of setup so I think I will go with the tank and a float valve I think.

Thanks for the replies.

Back