RO/DI auto topoff Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

Im just moving my RO/DI system so that its more accessable. I have added a bladder tank for an auto top up. I have also a 35 gal container for extra storage water. There is a kent float valve on the storage drum and one hooked in to the sump. Now I think I have it right. I have installed a pressure solinoid to the inside of the ro unit also
On the solinoid I have water line in from prefilters and a line out to the sump and drum see pics. As you can see I have a line that goes to the bladdr tank with a tee going to the storage unit. How or where do I hook in a line to feed the float swith in the sump.

MINIATUS :?:

Not quite sure how you've hooked everything up but....something is telling me it is necessarily complicated.

I would suggest you need an auto-shutoff inbetween the pre-filters and the R.O membrane. With these there are highpressure inputs (afterprefilter) and low pressure ones (after membrane). The back pressure of a float valve will now shut off the R.O system (other wise a float valve would just stop the filter water and the waste water would still run).

Now if its an auto top-off you really dont need 2 storage containers. One for making water changes i would assume but the other is rather usless. I would get rid of the storage bladder tank. Use a valve in the sump plumbed direct and the flow will not be pressurized with out the bladder tank which will leave your float valve on in the sump longer which is good.

Check the float valve's when there off to make sure they dont leak.

Buy the way I use electrical soleniods with float 'switches' on mine and it works great.

There is a auto shut off between the pre filters and RO unit. High pressure solinoidI think they call it. So instead of the bladder tank I just need a float valve in the sump and one in the storage container. I hope I am reading this right.

MINIATUS :exclaim:

Ya..well you really dont need the bladder tank in my opinion. You could use it as well but it would increase the flow coming from the system because those tanks are like a reserve of water and under pressure.....

Ive removed the bladder tank. You are right its just extra stuff. One more quick question. The float valves are kent marine models so is there a way of making sure they dont stick open. I heard that they need constant tuning.

MINIATUS :?:

sorry dont have any experience with float valve's.....like I mentioned earlier I use float switches and electrial solenoids. They work great. I have "heard" that the float valves can leak slowy....but i wouldnt know really.

Here is the link for the solenoid that I use inline with a float switch...

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=7877K53&pagenum=401

you can hook these bad boys directly to your R.O. system with they 1/8inch quick connect fittings (john guess) from home depot). They are normally closed and open when electically energized.

Last edited:
Back