RO/DI filters, time for a change

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I have had my RO/DI filter from Aquasafe for a year now and its time for a change of filters. I talked to the folks up at Aquasafe and they only sell filters by the case. What they told me was this: The three vertical filters on the bottom and the DI resin need to be changed yearly, the carbon filter for taste every 2 years and the horizontal RO membrane once every 5 years. Does that sound about right? I kinda thought you would change them all at once.
So, if you buy their case deal, you get enough for 4 years of filter changes and DI resin, and 2 years worth of carbon for 116.00 including shipping. I guess you buy the other RO membrane later.
I have seen on ebay some "buy it now" for 61.00 including new carbon and new RO membrane, but its a different brand. Are these filters universal or do I need to stick with Aquasafe?

I wish i could help you dood but i seriously don't have a clue.
I thought we were supposed to change only the membrane.
i'll just tag along to see what everyone says :) .

actually you change the membrane when it needs to be changed. Usually several years 3-5 depending on your use but the only way to really know is with a TDS meter. I am not sure when you change the DI filter. The other 3 filters (assuming it is 5 stage with 3 vertical filters underneith) are a sediment prefilter and 2 carbon filters. These three get changed every 3-6months, again, depending on use. I find that I need to change all 3 at the same time, though in principal the sediment filter usually needs to be changed a bit more often. Also, you want a 1 micron sediment filter (5 micron at the larges) and 5 micron carbon filters x2. Hope that helps.

Mat

Typically I change out the pre-filters the most often, second the carbon blocks, then eventually the DI & Lastly the RO membrane. I use 1 or .5 micron pre-filters which stop up rather quickly but they are cheap to replace & doing this allows the other more expensive filters to last longer. I have about 84psi going in & I know about how much production I should get on a new set of filters, when the pressure gauge drops off production goes down accordingly, so I'll usually change out the pre-filters the first one then see if the pressure goes back up if not then I change the next on usually the carbon block etc. & test TDS always. I use the color changing DI resin & the RO membrane really last a long time usually when I do start getting higher TDS readings It might be time to replace it.

Thanks Guys, that really helps. Sidd, I have the horizontal DI, will that work work with that package?

Back