ro/di help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Mitch, the big question is: How old are the filter units sediment, carbon & DI resin. The other thing is to have a TDS meter to see what # is going in and what # is coming out. I purchased two invaluable things in addition to new filters for the used unit that I bought originally. A Dual TDS meter and a Membrane Flush Kit, both these are an inexpensive addition that will pay off for you.

Cheers, Todd

Here is a flush kit from Air, Water & Ice (A great company & Site sponsor btw). Aquarium Water | Reverse Osmosis | RODI Water | ReefKeeper Water | Fast Flush - Ball Valve Combined with Restrictor

Extend the life of your membrane. This valve allows you to perform a rapid rinsing of the membrane surface . This rinse is done under reduced water pressure. When you open the fast flush valve the water that normally is controlled by the flow restrictor runs freely to drain. This valve skips over the flow restrictor

I just bought a used ro/di and need some help telling how it works properly. Its a Coralife 50gpd.

-mitch

Measure your tds going in. Measure tds going out BEFORE the di. You should be at 85 to 90% if not there are some changes that need to be made.

Don

Hey Mitch, sorry for delayed response but looks like well answered by Dave above. Per Don's reply, do you have an in-line TDS or handheld model ??? If in-line and not a dual meter you can read in-going then reconnect fittings to measure outgoing before DI chamber. You may want to leave in this posistion also as this is where you really want to know the #'s. On the Membrane Flush Kit I tipically flush for about 30 seconds before and after each use. How is everything coming along with the new tank now ???
I'm very impressed to the fact you are taking this very seriously and sure you will be very successful.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Mitch, sorry for delayed response but looks like well answered by Dave above. Per Don's reply, do you have an in-line TDS or handheld model ??? If in-line and not a dual meter you can read in-going then reconnect fittings to measure outgoing before DI chamber. You may want to leave in this posistion also as this is where you really want to know the #'s. On the Membrane Flush Kit I tipically flush for about 30 seconds before and after each use. How is everything coming along with the new tank now ???
I'm very impressed to the fact you are taking this very seriously and sure you will be very successful.

Cheers, Todd

Todd,

Dont over flush, you want the pure side of the TFC to sit idle in as pure as water as possible. Your flushing with pre filtered tap so need to run it back to pure before shutting down. When you do a pre and post flush like you describe that is best done with a system designed to flush with acidic DI water.

Don

Back