RO/DI solution? anyone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phatman

Is there a way to use an RO/DI system without having the massive amount of waste water. I lose about 3g to 4g a day from my big tank. And using the RO/DI my water bill has shot up. Is there another way to use this or change the process so it would reduce water waste.
Or is there another way all together to get better water quality.

many people use the waste water to pre-load their washing machines. I use it to water plants. What is your water pressure? I know when I put a boost pump on my RO/DI it reduced the waste production.

I was just thinking the same thing with the washer. If i remove the DI part will waste reduce? If yes which part is the DI. i got this from a friend with very little information.

There is a auto shut off valve kit that you can purchase that will shut the waste water off when it is not making water..

many people use the waste water to pre-load their washing machines. I use it to water plants. What is your water pressure? I know when I put a boost pump on my RO/DI it reduced the waste production.

What kind of boost pump did you use? Where did you end up getting it? How much do you think it optimizing filtration?

I got my booster pump from AirWaterIce.com
http://www.airwaterice.com/product/POWERSTATION/Booster_Pump_System_Power_Station_for_Reefkeepers.html

Booster pumps can also be purchased from TheFilterGuys.biz and BulkReefSupply.com

I had low water pressure in my house and it helped out tremendously. Efficiency seems to drop off rapidly if the input water pressure is lower than what the membrane is rated for generally ~50PSI.

Adding a second RO membrane inline is also supposed to help out efficency. According to the Filter Guys its more than twice as efficient.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/dual_membrane_kits.htm

ro/di containers need replacement after every 3 months in aquarium feild

very expensive +lots of water wastage

but its to much water conditioning for aquarium

actully over qualified measures to keep aquatic animal healthy

supplements needed alot for this model

ro/di containers need replacement after every 3 months in aquarium feild
This is wholly dependent on your input water. No blanket statement here. Now the sediment and carbon filters need regular changing to save the RO membrane...this is true.

very expensive +lots of water wastage
but a lot less problem with algae and piece of mind

but its to much water conditioning for aquarium. actully over qualified measures to keep aquatic animal healthy
I dissagree with this. If you are talking fish only I would agree, but for corals (especially sensitive ones) water quality is of paramount importance.

As far as where I got my boost pump....can't remember. It's been 6 years or so since I got it. You see them used sometimes and any RO/DI company should have them.

The "booster" pump is usually required in areas that have low water pressure or if you are use a membrane that makes 100+ gallons a day. Those membranes reqiure a higher pressure in order to produce the water volume. If you have low water pressure then a pump will help, if you do not have low pressure and are not using a high gallonage membrane then it is a waste of money.

I moved down to CA and everyone uses tap water I think they are crazy, they say it is safe but when I tested it I found over 5.0 and nitrates around 20 I told both stores they were crazy and haven't been back since. I don't support those kinds of stores, they only want to make a buck, I have been sharing my knowledge about R.O/D.I with a few people down here they only listen after they see my tank. I have made really bad mistakes when I first started, I used tap, didn't see anything wrong with it until I put corals in and a few days later started to melt, phosphates were way to high and it was a pain in the butt getting it stable. Lots of money went into chemical additives which I didn't need if I were to use R.O might seem like a wast but think of your livestock. Many stores in WA supply R.O or D.I if you don't like wasting your water let them. I am getting my water from Safeway or Winco, for top offs and make my own for water changes, this might make it easier for you to.

I was just thinking the same thing with the washer. If i remove the DI part will waste reduce? If yes which part is the DI. i got this from a friend with very little information.

DI is the last cannister. And no... removing it doesn't reduce the waste. The waste comes from the RO section.

The washing machine is a good route for the 'waste' water and you also could install a drip irrigation system feeding your vegetable garden, potted plants on the deck, herb garden in the kitchen, etc. if you really want to go 'green'!

I too am weighing the pros-n-cons ( cost -vs- convenience )of running my own ro/di unit, having minimal evaporation loss on my 75g with 40g sump w/o skimmer ( Miracle Mud) I have mostly just filled 5 gal water bottles with ultra-purified / $1.75 at Albertsons outdoor station. Its only 1 mile from house so not much of a chore. I have 3 5g jugs that I fill up to make my own saltwater once a month.

Thats my 2 cents worth

Todd

The only problem with buying water from somewhere especially a grocery store is you never know how well they maintain their systems. I am looking at getting another RO membrane to piggy back onto my setup to reduce the waste water.

with one of my tanks i lose easily 3 - 5 gallons every couple of days

I am going to raise the water temp coming into the ro/di to around 70 degrees. I read that this will improve the efficiency of the unit and hopefully less waste water.

I am going to raise the water temp coming into the ro/di to around 70 degrees. I read that this will improve the efficiency of the unit and hopefully less waste water.

I agree I to do this and it makes a big difference. I have a 100' roll of 1/4" tubing in one of my sumps that uses the warm tank water to pre-heat my R/O's water intake.

Back