RO/DI Stupid Mistake

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ok I guess you guys just proved there is no standard. Usually you can tell just by looking at the unit what the water flow is.

ok, maybe i should have been on the short bus!!!!!!!!! i just figured out that my setup was right in the first place:eek: :eek: ...now i ran maybe 10-15g through it when i changed it( thinking i was fixing it)....do you think that that many gallons affected the filters...i don't think that it actually passed through all of them..it was really strong flow...it looks like it may have only passed through the "taste" filter, DI filter, and RO filter...maybe not the RO...i'm not sure...........i am very frustrated:mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't assume the line colors were put on correctly to any used unit, look to the instruction diagram of what should go where. I bought a used Kent unit yesterday that trickled RO water at a rate of 1 pint RO to 5 gallons waste. After studying it, figured out what was wrong; the restricter was in the yellow line which was attached to the RO output. Put the restricter and colored lines back to where they belonged, and it now runs like a champ.

Lesson learned, "the other guy" doesn't always have it right.

it's right the way i had it in the first place....i may try to empty out a couple tanks of the water and see how it is

i got mt replacement filters today...my old ones were only 2-3 months old...i accidentally ran water through the out flow valve..here are some pics of the sediment filter after only 2-3 months..they looked this way before i made the mistake

Cool, whats the flush vaulve 4?

is that so when you replace the filers you let it flow out of the back flush vaulve for a while or something????
the black tube

sooooooo, i will need to replace the first couple regularly???? orrrrrrr, should i change them all at once...i guess if i changed the sediment and the 2 carbon blocks regularly, the others would be better off????

The way I tell if I need to change stuff is check the tds of the water coming out of the ro membrane. Mine usually comes out of there at 3-4, if my tds after the di is above 5, I change out the di cartridge, and that brings it back down to 0.

my DI membrane turns brown when it needs to be changed..i need to get my TDS meter this week....i am going to try to keep the first couple filters(the cheap ones) clean..maybe that will prolong the life of the last ones(expensive ones):D

my DI membrane turns brown when it needs to be changed..i need to get my TDS meter this week....i am going to try to keep the first couple filters(the cheap ones) clean..maybe that will prolong the life of the last ones(expensive ones):D
I use the color changing ones and the regular one also. A tds meter is a must, you will be glad you got one. Good luck.:D

ohh, i agree...i found a pretty good one...i will probably get it next week..this week if i don't go to Florida(hurricane coming)

Back