RO/DI units;where did you get yours?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefbound

Hey all, I have have done everything to get rid of my algae problem except to start using ro/di water which is my next step.
Where has everyone purchased theirs? Basically Im ro/di illiterate and Im not sure what to look for and I would like to purchase this tonite...can anyone point me to a decent one for the money?

LakeEd said:
Reefbound,

1st... Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Now... on to your question:

If you aren't against Ebay... look here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Reef-6st-10...QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the welcome... : )

Is this a unit that you would purchase? I have been looking at this one with xtra filters... has anyone bought this?

Reefbound said:
Thanks for the welcome... : )

Is this a unit that you would purchase? I have been looking at this one with xtra filters... has anyone bought this?
For a "Starter" Unit... YES!

However, after about 9 months, I purchased replacement filters from www.airwaterice.com... instead of any replacements offered off E-bay. I found that after 9 months, my TDS (Total Desolved Solids) was creaping upwards of about 5 to 7, and have a couple friends using the same ammount of water from their units from AirWaterIce... and there were still rock solid at 0TDS. Being standard size... you can purchase your replacements from about anywhere.

These just have a SUPER price, especially for start-up!!!

So this is a good deal for a STARTER kit, then when the time comes buy better filters for it? I dont want to have to buy another unit after this one,this should last a long time right?

I bought almost the same exact one off e-bay and I love it...just wish I had a booster pump to get more flow, but I usually have TDS at zero, and after over a year of maintaining my 90 and 46 I only had about 0.5 to 1ppm TDS. I bought the Water General model, but it has all the same filters. Good luck in your search. -Bryan

Last edited:
Brenden said:
Here is the one I bought. I like the clear containers so you can see the condition of your filters. Jim also has the best prices I have found on replacement filters. I have around 6 gal a day evaporation plus I do 150 gal water changes so mine runs a lot. He has a website so you can also buy direct.

Thanks Brenden, That is a nice unit but how do you shut it off if it doesnt have an automatic shut off?

I bought that filtersdirect model that you had first on your list Reefbound. I like it and it seems to work just fine. I am sure that any of those models would work fine though. -Bryan

I too bought the filters Direct (EBAY)w/ dual DI units ( made by Water General) very reputable membrane manufacurer and quick shipping. A little more expensive ( 95$), but you will like the rugged quality of the unit. I also bought the extra 18$ bag of ion exchange resins, TO RE FILL MY OWN WHEN THE COLOR CHANGES...The filters are block carbon x 2 which is nice and another prefilter all see thru canisters, the only draw back was no pressure gauge before the RO unit, so I added my own for 4$ from the local plumbing store, This helps you know when to change filters. PEACE, bOB

so everyone thinks these systems are great and no one has had any problems with them???

I bought mine used from a reef club member south of here, I got a Seachem pinnacle+ 100 gpd for $100....buying used can save ya some money if you are patient...

MikeS

i really need one also...i am tired of going to the store several times a week for ro/di water..what are some of the necessary things to look for in one..do the ones on ebay have everything on them that they need to have?

they come with everything that is needed? they are so much cheaper than the ones in the mags

I got mine from FilterDirect off e-bay. I have heard a lot of good things on the Air Water Ice units also. One thing to keep in mind is to get a 75 gallon per day unit instead of a 100 gallon per day, the 75gpd remove more...

Why buy used when new ones are now alot less now as EBAY has made them so available....don't buy the cheapestone either...they usually don't have clear canisters, and the prefilters are usually crap... just read the feedback on the seller alot first.

I also think the differences between the 75 and 100 GPD models are negligable , especially when DI is added... you are going to get get ultra pure water from either, lab grade in fact.... Also rejection is a function of water pressure as well as pre filtration and / or water conditioning and how much dissolved solids is in there to start..... I'm not buying that there is much diff between the same manufacturers 75 or 100 GPD model, just buy the best membranes, just my opinion... any one of theses will work for you... I think.

Back