RO/DI units;where did you get yours?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almost all of them have auto shut off any more when any type of shut off follows, (this stops waste water from contuning to be produced when demand for R/O water is stopped.) such as a float valve or a simple ball valve. eXPECT AT LEAST A 3 TO1 PRODUCT VS WASTE WATER RATION IF NOT MORE, THIS IS JUST THE WAY IT IS.... fILM-tEC IS A GOOD BRAND OF MEMBRANE. I am not as fond of the canister DI type unit in that picture a s I believe a 10 in x 2 in encourages more contact time with the resins and a thicker bed of exposure. I use 2 in a row, not sure if they are re fillable either. Mine are the clear cylindrical ones tghat lye on top of the actual R/O unit.

I have the same one that Prow listed. Works like a champ and excellent customer service. I replace all of my filters (minus the RO) every six months and change the DI when TDS reaches 1.

I think I have found the one I want but I have a final (maybe) question.
Is there a differance between the refillable resin DI system vs the membrane DI system?

DI is not a membrane system. Water flows through a volume of bead like resin material. the longer the pathway thru the resins, the more contact time the better.... also larger canisters ie: wider, cabn process more water faster, but at the expense of contact time... so I like thinner , refillable cartridges, and I use a series of 2. there is also an effect called channelling that ocurrs when the fluid to be filtered runs along the wall of the canister, thereby not getting much contact w/ the resins... this is much less in smaller diameter cartridges, also refillables can be added to, when 1/2 the media has changed color you can just replace 1/2 and get full milage out of the rest. Bob .

ronj said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ro6102dint-aquarium-reef-110gpd-ro-2di-water-filtration_woqqitemz7769690421qqihz018qqcategoryz4631oqqtczphotoqqcmdzviewitemi want this model, but it doesn't come w/ a pressure tank..is this necessary to have? if so, where can i get one?

No there not necessary but, you would have three gallon on hand when needed. I was looking at the very same unit you are and I checked out the local home improvement sites for the holding tank and for the price I bought the next one in line from yours that comes with everything needed for 10 bux more... I called them directly and they gave me a better price than the buy it now so I bought this one from Filters direct:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-110GPD-RO-D...hZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I figured I should benefit too not just the aquarium...

i was looking at that one, but it didn't come with the clear housings for the filters...also how in the heck do you post a link LOL..mine is crazt long:)

ronj said:
i was looking at that one, but it didn't come with the clear housings for the filters...also how in the heck do you post a link LOL..mine is crazt long:)

The way Im looking at it is I have a filter on the main line on my house that has a clear housing,I was going to interchange one from the unit with my house because I change the house filter EVERY 3 months if its needed or not.
I very sure there the same size,if not I bet you can find them somewhere to upgrade to clear ones(someone has to sell them). As for the links all I do is right click copy, come here right click paste,I dont know why mine are so short...I guess if you also bought a TDS meter technically you would not need clear housings... I guess thats just a personal preferance.

ronj said:
i just bought the 110gpd from filtersdirect... i hope this is a good one

I have one also that is working very well. Mine was sent w/o a bypass valve to flow water over the membrane occaisionally to clean it off... I e- mailed them, and had one in my mailbox in 4days... good customer service... they also use GE Desal membranes which are the best you can buy right now according to the water chemists at my school. I added a pressure gauge right before the r/o intake to monitor the actual pressure making it to the membrane. Cost about 5$ at the hardware store. this also helps to tell you when to change pre filters. Bob

Depends what you're using it for. For drinking I'd get the carbon filter. I've never heard of a 2nd DI component, but if you add a second RO membrane you can double your GPD, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

for the aquarium. There is two models im looking at. One's 6th stage is a 2nd (in series) DI unit; the others has another carbon filter. Any thoughts?

Back