RO/DI units;where did you get yours?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Interesting. I'm not sure what the extra DI would buy you other than having to change out the resin less frequently. IMO neither is that useful, but if I had to choose I'd take the extra DI because the carbon is unnecessary.

The type of membrane you get is of upmost importance. Most if not all of the ebay RO units use a cheaper membrane that requires 65psi(at 77 degrees is it?) to work correctly. If your not getting 65psi, your unit is not working at near the efficeincy it should. Dow filmtec r/o membranes are rated at 50PSI to achieve the same purity output. 65psi is on the high end of what most homes have for water pressure is my understanding, so unless you have actually checked your pressure, dont assume that the 65psi one will work. If your membrane is not actually removing the 98 or 99% of the TDS, then DI and filter chambers will remove the rest. If say you are only removing 90% of the tds(because your water pressure is lower then 65 and your temp is far below 77), then your di/filter chambers are going to be working 10 times harder(1% vs 10%), and will become saturated with tds and need to be replaced much sooner.
Also, if you go with a dow filmtec ro membrane, get the 75gpd one. Its rated at 98% removal, while the 100gpd one will only remove 90%(thus burning out your di/filters much quicker).
That having been said, I got a unit from airwaterice and am very happy with it. The tyhpoon 3 comes with al the bells and whistles I could want(tds meter, water pressure gauge, asov,several bypasses).

i would go with a second DI membrane...mine has the carbon filter for the last stage..i use it for drinking also..i think i am going to buy the one with 2 DI stages just for my tanks!!!!

I have the 2 DI units in series for additional contact time...get clear ones so you can see the color change in the resins and you will know when they are exhausted. The only reason to use carbon on water at that stage of filtration is for taste....if your not drinking it, no need for carbon.

Aqua FX 5 stage Mako. excellent unit I bought used for $100. Color changing filters. I have had no problems what so ever w/this unit. The people @ FX have been more than helpful w/answering all my questions as well.:)

I recently purchased this one from purelyh2o.com: http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php?productid=16135&cat=249&page=1

I have been very happy with it since I received it. I also got a DI bypass for making drinking water & RO flush kit included. I have tested the water with a HM COM-100 TDS meter with the following results:

tap: 35ppm
RO: 1.8ppm
RODI: 0.2ppm

They may be having a 15% off sale, but I'm not sure if it's still going on or just ended...worth asking about as that would save 20bucks or so.

hth,
Rob

With all this talk about RO/DI units. I thought I just had to join the fun also. I just bought this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-2-110GPD-RO-2DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-water-FILTER_W0QQitemZ120028387074QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I've been thinking about replacing my little portable one. It's been in use now for about a year, but's getting about time to replace the filters. Since these new units are cheap enough. I decided just to get a new one.. :). I also got the DM-1 TDS meter.

Go with what bapski said,

WWW.thefilterguys.biz

they make there stuff for reefers. i know you might think your paying to much, but when that comes back and bits you in the azz, you will be like damn i shoulda

great service, super eazy conntions great instutions, life time warenty.

oh my dts's are about 75-90ppm pre filter, and 0 after

I would of but a lot people where saying the Water General is also a great product. I looked at both..

but is water general gonna help you if something goes wrong? will they be as eazy as just calling a number and geting a person on the other side of the line (who probly took your order and shiped) service is everything on my end.

even if the price it better can get it quicker. what ever the case is, if theres not gonna be anyone to back up there product then......

let us know what you get and how it turns out

I hear. I will usually pay a little more for great service. But Water General is pretty big so hopefully if I needed help I would get it.

Here's their site.
http://www.watergeneral.com/

Thanks for the concern. I've been researching and looking for some time though. I just hope I made a good choice. ;)

I would of but a lot people where saying the Water General is also a great product. I looked at both..

Water general is a fine product. They are a manufacturer not a assembler. They make rodi parts for many companies that simply assemble and relabel. They are just plastic canisters. No one makes their own filters, membranes or di resin.

Don

I did some research and address listed on the Water General Website is the same address for the E-bay seller FilterDirect. So hopefully this is a good thing. :).

Yah it means they are using the 65psi rated membranes =P You notice that they rate their di resin at only 500 gallons? Thats hardly anything.

If your in the PNW though chances are your tds will be sub 50, in which case even the most basic ro/di unit should work for a long time. If your looking at 300-400 tds I strongly discourage the use of anything other then the dow filmtec membrane. Your going to be going through a whole lot more expensive di refill's.

Back