RO/DI units

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I am thinking about getting an RO/DI system. Has anyone had any experience with those $99.00 "Buy it Now" units on Ebay? The price is right. And for all you Seattle folks they do not add chloramine to the public water supply in Seattle proper.

Larry - are these units the ones from Aquasafe systems? I think Wrightme43 has one and likes it. I'll link him to this thread so he can give his experience.

I got a six stage from aqausafecanada, their in B.C.. I have been pretty happy with it. I would have liked seethrough canasters, but the price was right. I bought the R/O-D.I. system, TDS meter, a water tank/faucet adapter, and enough spare filters to change it for two to four years all for far less than what I could find locally.

I have the aquasafe system and I am tickled to death with it. I love it. I also wish it had clear cannisters but then again the price they sell it and the replacement filters at, I just change all pre filters every three months. ( I make a ton of water with mine, as I do water changes for a living.) It has been a quality leak free, trouble free system for me. I will be glad to reccomened them and Ed as well. Easy to talk to and friendly. The instuctions are sent in a email so be prepared to print them. One thing I will reccomened is when you first set up or change the prefilters is to leave the deion resin disconnected and let the system run out for 8 hours or so. I have found that something in the filters, or carbon blocks, uses the deion up really fast and then it stops. I have mine set up to flow into a 44 gallon rubbermaid brute trash can with a kent float valve and a auto shutoff so the unit doesnt continue to run down the drain. I also have a hagen 802 powerhead with a dedicated hose to pump water that sits in the can with the water. It saves alot of trouble and I dont have to worry about contaminating the water with any bacteria, or such and the like. Like I said I would buy another from Ed if I need one. Good people. I cant say much better than that. Steve Oh and one more thing, if you like, stand the deion cannister up on its end, then the water has to upflow against the beads and it seems to last longer and work better, and also as the beads wear out, they float on top of the good ones, and you can spoon out the bad when it gets about halfway, and never even have to see a 1 ppm reading on your tds meter. Steve

The only thing I don't like about it is the cost of shipping. $32.50 whether you live in florida or seattle. They also will not let you pick them up and the cost is the same for shipping whether the 4gal holding canister is purchased or not. When I asked, their email reply said:

"Some should pay more and some less...however, this is pretty much the norm and this is how we advertise our terms."

I would prefer to be one of the ones that pay less, or just pick it up, especially when shipping makes the unit 30% more expensive. That being said, they are the cheapest RO/DI multi-stage unit I have ever seen.

Also, mattseattle bought one of these and said they would swap out the 75gpd membrane for the less efficient 100gpd membrane. That is not true. All their units are 100gpd.

Mat

Thanks for all the input, I think I will be getting one of those. What is a TDS meter? And what do they cost?

Mat - yeah guess Aquasafe doesn't swap out membranes as they only carry the 100 gpd membranes. I do know that Filterdirect and some other E-bay vendors will swap out the membrane if you ask. Here in Seattle I don't think it's a big deal if you have the 100gpd or the 75gpd membrane as our TDS is so low. If you lived in a higher TDS area then you'd definitely want to go with the 75gpd membrane.

I only paid 20.00 for shipping but then again I did not purchase the tank with my system but only the 6-stage RO/DI unit. My total with shipping was 90.00.

I've been extremely pleased with my Aquasafe unit.

A T.D.S. meter measures Total Dissolvled Solids. It is a way to measure the effectiveness of your ro unit. I measure tap at 300-400 tds at the tap depending on what the water comp. is providing. After my rodi I measure 0tds. That tells me the unit is working properly. It measures electrical conducdivity in water. Pure water does not conduct electricity at all. I got mine from ebay. Its a little hand held pen type. Under 30$ delivered. Worth it. It also lets you know when it is time to change filters on the rodi unit. HTH Steve

Steve,
I was wondering if you could explain how you plumbed your RO/DI device and maybe take pictures. I have the same one and right now I have it unhooked because I couldn't stop it from continually draining waste water. I asked Ed about it and I don't think he understood me because all he kept saying was turn the system off and even when I turned the system off I still have drainage. Anyhow, was hoping you would share how you have yours. Thanks
Deb

Steve,
Let me mention I am an idiot when it comes to plumbing and I do mean an idiot...so any advice is greatly appreciate.

Thanks again

I promise you are not a idiot. You may not know how to do it yet, but that is just because you dont know. I didnt know till I knew either. Right now the video card is down on my computer, and I am using the old p.o.s. computer. I dont have any photos stored, and I dont have a card reader for this one. Here are some questions so that we can start on the same page.
What are you storing the water in?
Do you have a float valve?
Do you have the white square auto shutoff valve?
On the output side of the ro membrane, you have two fittings, one to waste water, and one to good water. Do you have a silver check valve on the good water or a white normal valve?
On the input line from house water is where I put my quick shutoff valve for changing filters. Where is yours? I have pictures of my unit on this site somewhere. I will try to find them, save them and move them, because I cant figure out how to link. Hope this helps you. Steve

Steve,
Appreciate the quick reply. I am not at home right now I am at work so when I get home tonight I will look at my system and get all the answers to your questions. I will also post some pictures. I really really really appreciate your help...my husband is ready to kill me because I bought it and can't figure out how to use it...Thanks again and I will post all the information for you tonight...
Deb

Ok Deb here is a photo. It is missing one piece. The next post will name the stuff in order.

Attachments

• RODIunit.jpg
    RODIunit.jpg
    59.3 KB
Ok red line to input water from house to left side inlet of the prefilters looking at the front of the unit. white line out of the prefilters right side looking at the front. To the top of autoshutoff valve inlet. outlet to the left side input of the ro membrane. water through the membrane. yellow outlet to the restrictor valve and then to waste trap. On the good water outlet of the membrane, you need a check valve. Blue line from check to bottom inlet of autoshutoff valve. outlet of auto shut off valve to DI cannister. Outlet of the DI cannister to the carbon post filter, outlet of the carbon post filter. to the float valve on the container. So what happens. Water is produced, fills the container. Float vavle floats and shuts of water flow in the container. Water pressure builds up in the line back to the auto shutoff. pushes a puck down and shuts off inlet water to the membrane. HTH Steve

Steve,
I had a ball game last night and didn't get a chance to answer your questions, I also have one tongiht...I definitely still want your help but won't be able to get to it until Thursday night...I just didn't want you to think I forgot...From looking at your picture mine looks exactly like that. I will get back to you later. Thanks again...
Deb

No Problem. Enjoy your game. I just do this stuff for fun anyway. LOL I wish my good computer was working. I have some awesome pics of my new lights and skimmer. Steve

OK folks, I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Aquasafe 6 stage unit.
I do have one question, the last stage of the process is a activated carbon filter which is "for taste" in the directions. Will this carbon add phospahtes to the water that has just been filtered? Should I skip that stage?

On my Aquasafe unit I just left the last "for taste" filter disconnected. The only time I use that filter is when I'm filling containers for my drinking water.

No need to waste the filter on your fish tank as it doesn't add to the purity of the water.

Back