RO/DI Water questions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1229goad

New Reefer
I keep reading about Ro/Di water, do you really need it? and where can you get it in marysville area? I am having a brown alge problem and i keep reading its because i dont top off with ro/di water. Also can i make Ro/Di water at home with a simple Cheap setup?

Thanks everyone.

Theirs alot of bad stuff in tap water. I would suggest buying a fairly good ro/di it is well worth the investment. check out bulkreefsupplies.com or the filter guys, try to get something with a vertical DI chamber and not the small horizontal ones

i was skeptical about it also so i bought a tds meter just to see if its true...

i tested tap compared to the in house water fountain thing with the 5 gal water jugs, that read about 8 compared to a whole lot more, so there definitely are impurities..

still havent motivated myself to buy a ro/di but sooner or later im sure i will.

question on top of this one - i hear about top off but what about mixing salt? does that make a difference?

RO/DI is an excellent way to keep unhelpful stuff out of your tank. Use it for top off and mixing salt. For more in-depth info you may want to hit the search engine on this site.

Using an rodi is just heading off problems. Here is a pic of my first filter 3 days on made about 10 gallons of water. This stuff would have been in my tank.

Back