Ro waste valve making noise

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
My ro unit makes noise everytime it turns on or off. The waste valve makes all kinds of noise that transfers thru the wall to the living room. How do I make it silent?

DB

Do you have a permeate pump on your set-up? My set-up from air-water-ice has a little canister on top that uses the water supply pressure to help assist the post-filter water flow. It improves efficiency, but it's very loud. If you know for sure it's a solenoid, then never mind, but it's another option. Having said that, I don't know how to make it quiet other than by removing it! DonW's way of improving efficiency is by running the waste line of the RO to the input of a second RO membrane. After that there is very little waste produced.

Josh

It is Hammering. Banging as it shuts down.
DB

Good, thats a easy fix. Go to home depot or the web and buy yourself a water hammering arrestor. Connect it between your rodi and the supply. If your using your washer fitting you can get one with hose connections. 3 minutes and your done.:)

Don

Water Hammer

What is causing the hammering? Is it just because the water is shutting down so quickly??? This would make sense but I'm interested in the reason. Below you will find a photo of the system connection. It is operated by a ball valve off the cold side at the hot water tank.

DB

What is causing the hammering? Is it just because the water is shutting down so quickly??? This would make sense but I'm interested in the reason. Below you will find a photo of the system connection. It is operated by a ball valve off the cold side at the hot water tank.

DB

Sorry I missed this, but yes your correct. Any time you sut the water down so quickly you end up with hammering. Alot of folks get it when the washer shuts down, since it uses a solenoid valve.

Don

Back