Rob's 93g 30"x30"x24" Marineland Cube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beautiful tank. I'm looking at a similar tank and was wondering what kind of lights do you have.

I'm using a single 250W MH DE HQI on a magnetic ballast. I had 2 250W on my previous tank, but I decided to only use one on this one. This does result in some shadows on the sides/edges of the tank though, which I am actually OK with.

Lately, I have been thinking about switching over to LED lights, but will probably wait for prices to come down a little first...

HTH,

Rob

what brand led fixture are you looking at?

I have been researching all LEDs I can find info about. The ones that have caught my interest are:

1) if money were no object, the AquaIlluminations LED fixtures look very nice. Coupled with a profilux controller, that light can do some pretty cool things. But, coupled with the controller, it's going to involve some $$ (http://www.reefgeek.com/manufacture...ight_System_w!_Controller_by_AquaIllumination)

2) the maxspect LED made & sold out of China looks interesting for the price, but seems to lack some features and the supportability has a bit of a question mark to me (http://www.fish-street.com/maxspect_programmable_led_aquarium_lighting?category_id=118)

3) DIY project. The idea of making my own LED fixture is attractive from a fun-to-do standpoint, but for about the same price, I could order the maxspect unit above. Obviously, the DIY project is going to have DIY quality, which I will assume is not going to be as good as any of the above (that's just an assumption though).

Anyways, barring a lottery win or similar, I will probably hold off for the time being as I already have lights and lots of other things that have higher priority at the moment...

OK, not a lottery win, but I did pretty good at the craps table the other night :D so I order 2 of the 15" Reef Brite LEDs from PA: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...oduct_Code=RB-HLS15-B&Category_Code=reefbrite

I'm getting the all blue LED model and will be using them for actinic supplement to my 250W MH (which currently has a phoenix 14k bulb). I've read some great reviews on these lights, so I'm pretty anxious to see these in person. The 15" model has 6 3w cree bulbs that are underdriven at somewhere around 1.5~2w. They can be dimmed by adjusting a knob located on the power supply.

They shipped out today, so I hope to have them sometime early next week. I'll post more info once I receive them...

OK, sorry for the lack of updates in over a month! I received my actinic LEDs and mounted them in my canopy. WOW, are they bright! At the same time I mounted the LEDs I also replaced my 250w MH bulb (made sense at the time because I had to remove the canopy completely, which requires 2 people to do). In hind sight, it was not a good idea to install new LED lights and replace the MH bulb at the same time...

About a week after I installed the LEDs and replaced my MH bulb I started having STN problems with some of my SPS corals. On top of this, at the same time my skimmer started skimming REALLY wet, which could have been related to the STN causing water quality to change, or something...

Anyways, I believe the STN issue was caused by light shock and probably aggrevated by my skimmer, because the skimmer was skimming so wet that it was causing my ATO to put a lot more replacement water into my system than normal. Of course, my ATO is not pumping straight RO/DI water, but kalkwasser instead. So, I think I had 2 issues, too much light and higher than normal Alk and Ph levels due to excessive kalkwasser!

The LEDs I am using are dimmable, so I cranked them way down. I also adjusted my skimmer and it's now skimming more or less normal. The STN issues seem to be slowing/stopping for the moment. My LEDs are at approx 3/4 power now.

So, for the time being I'm trying to not mess with the system much at all, except to clean the glass & feed the fish. Some of my SPS look fine, others don't look so good. All my LPS look normal, and the fish all seem happy as well.

I'll try and post some more pics when I have a chance...

Nice!! Those are nice fixtures too. I thought about using them to supplement my halides when they 1st came out and then all these other LED lighting started to come out so I decided to hold off. Does your MH wash them out?

I don't really notice them running when the MH are on, but if I turn them off I definitely notice it in the color of the corals (loses the 'pop'). Also, there are areas on the bottom of my tank where the MH light is shadowed, but the purple of the LEDs are visible.

So, based on that I would answer that the LEDs are not washed out by the MH. Also, this is based on the LEDs running at 3/4 power still.

Over the weekend my Vortech MP40W stopped working again. After inspecting the wetside assembly, it appears to me the bearing or similar broke, as the shaft moves side to side quite a bit now.

This is the 2nd wetside assembly I have had fail on me. I bought the pump in 10/2009 and had the first failure in 01/2010. Ecotech sent me a new wetside assembly under warranty in January and I also bought a spare wetside assembly from Marine Depot at the same time. I've been using the new wetside from MD since January, and it just failed now. I called Ecotech and they are going to send me another wetside assembly under warranty.

So, in summary I've noticed a couple of things. First, IME the wetside assembly lasts approx 3-4 months before the bearing fails. Second, Ecotech's customer service is fantastic! I simply called their 800# and explained the problem and they offered to send replacement hardware with no hassles. Of course, it's easy now since it's all under warranty. IMO, definitely a good idea to have a spare wetside if you have a Vortech.

Over the weekend my Vortech MP40W stopped working again. After inspecting the wetside assembly, it appears to me the bearing or similar broke, as the shaft moves side to side quite a bit now.

This is the 2nd wetside assembly I have had fail on me. I bought the pump in 10/2009 and had the first failure in 01/2010. Ecotech sent me a new wetside assembly under warranty in January and I also bought a spare wetside assembly from Marine Depot at the same time. I've been using the new wetside from MD since January, and it just failed now. I called Ecotech and they are going to send me another wetside assembly under warranty.

So, in summary I've noticed a couple of things. First, IME the wetside assembly lasts approx 3-4 months before the bearing fails. Second, Ecotech's customer service is fantastic! I simply called their 800# and explained the problem and they offered to send replacement hardware with no hassles. Of course, it's easy now since it's all under warranty. IMO, definitely a good idea to have a spare wetside if you have a Vortech.

I feel ya bro. I have gone through numerous WS. I agree thier CS is top notch! They replaced my WS even though the warranty was expired. they knew they had problems with the WS so they replaced them all and even sent a spare free of charge. The new ones I have has not given me any problems as of yet. They seem to run alot smother.

We are thinking of buying this exact tank too. We really like the dimensions of it. Good looking tank. I like your rock work, the holes and arches are neat. And the rock wall looks awesome! Very inspiring....

Good looking tank. Like your rock work. I have the same tank with starphire front, and similar peripherals. Thinking of adding a few large pieces of dry rock. Where is BRS (what does BRS stand for?) that you got your dry rock?

Back