Rock and sand turn brown yellow.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ilovereef

I have a new 150 gal tank. It's been beautiful with live rock and bright white live sand for the last few week. I just have a few soft and LPS corals in there. One night I add the DT's Phytoplankton Premium Reef Blend and next day the sand and some white rock surface turn to brown yellow. What should I do? Please help.

Welcome to RF! :) I've never used DT's Phytoplankton before to know what effect it would have on the tank, but did your water change color as well? If so, maybe running some carbon will help clear up the water. However, if it is just the rocks and sand, could be for some other reason like a possible diatom bloom which usually happens to tanks as they go through cycles. How old is your setup? Also, can you give us a bit more info about your system so we can better know how to help you :)

Thank you for your response. I have the tank setup for just a few weeks with all fully cured live rock (150 lbs) and live sand. It's been running with sump, pumps and protein skimmer, two 250 watt 6500k halide, 4 vho light tubes. The water is till crystal clear and the fish & coral look happy and relax. Just the sand surface and white areas of rocks.

Cool! Have you performed any tests to see what your nitrate, phosphate etc levels are at? It wants to sounds like a diatom issue, but couldn't say for sure without a picture. Any chance to get a pic and maybe some test results? :)

I used DT's on my tank and always had algae problems.
A friend had a clear tank and used DT's and discovered green algae on his glass, he stopped using it and the alge dissappeared.

If this is a new tank set up, it sounds like a Diatom Bloom. This is a normal part of a new tank cycling. I'd not use DTs until your tank is more established. DTs will cause an algae problem in certain situations. It's a great food for your corals, clams and pods. However, it's also a great food for algae. I'd stop dosing it for now. Once your tank becomes much more established, you could start dosing again with much smaller doses and not as often.

If this is a new tank set up, it sounds like a Diatom Bloom. This is a normal part of a new tank cycling. I'd not use DTs until your tank is more established. DTs will cause an algae problem in certain situations. It's a great food for your corals, clams and pods. However, it's also a great food for algae. I'd stop dosing it for now. Once your tank becomes much more established, you could start dosing again with much smaller doses and not as often.

X2 Good advise:) Many people say phyto additives are neccesary but many others have proven otherwise by keeping very beautiful tanks without it. IMO, why spend the money? Good luck!

Last edited:
Back