Rock Cleaning

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
Is there any problem with taking rock out of the tank and scrubbing the algae and detritus off in a bucket of sw?
Thanks

I've done it plenty of times. You will have die off from scrubbing the rock and depends on how much rock and how big your tank is you might go through a mini cylce, but that didn't bother me too much. Just my experience.

Sarang

I figured that I might start up a little cycle but it needs to get done. Hopefully won't be that big of a cycle! Thanks

If you keep the sponges in water and mostly only scub off algae I doubt you would get any noticable cycle.

Iv done it also and seemingly it does not create a swing in the tank. I usually do it only when a deep cleaning is due! In the past I used to do it alot, until I got my bio under control and established. I see no problem w it. When Im curing I will do some scrubbing only after I eyeball the pieces. Obviously make sure your not scrubbing any minute crustations,like baby mushrooms. GOOD luck pally.

I did about 20lbs Tuesday with a stiff plastic brush, in a tub of old salt water & plopped it back in, man it was bad. Depending on the size of you tank & amount of LR Just do a little at a time, do it in the water your changing out in also.

ya i did that... and it made things worse....

depends on what your scratching off.

Hello;

I have never removed my live rock from the tank. I use a bottle brush to remove cyano and lightly clean the rock. If you have sponge on the rock and they trap air when removed --- they will die off. Sponge is the most valued filter in your tank --- a turkey baster will blow the rock clean after a light cleaning.

IMHO -- I have a problem with tank water going to a sump or other device that will trap waste before it goes through a filter. Water should also be cleaned by a filter before being used for water movement or this waste will collect in the small crevices in the rocks etc. I use polyester fill in a canister filter basket to remove small particles and change it once a week to reduce nitrates. My water changes consist of changing 2-gallons of water in my filter once a week!

Enjoy!

Back