Rock Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
I've had about 100+ lbs of rock in my sump for about 6 months w/o any light. I decided to take the rock out and put it into a second tank. Is this rock already cured since it was in my sump? or not because it didn't have any light?
Thanks

I originally got it from a friend that downgraded tanks. I took it strait from his tank which was up and running and put it into my sump and it's been there for roughly 6 months. The only thing that got eliminated was the light. The temp and salinity have all been the same.

I originally got it from a friend that downgraded tanks. I took it strait from his tank which was up and running and put it into my sump and it's been there for roughly 6 months. The only thing that got eliminated was the light. The temp and salinity have all been the same.

"curing" is letting the die off end while not in an expensive box of water (you're aquarium). Moving from the sump to display should be fine (you might have hitchikers but that'd be it), if the rock was going to die off significantly you'd know it already since your water quality would be horrible.

How bigs your sump? 100#s is a lot of rock, my 65G display has half that* and is fairly full.

* 50# of live rock and 50# base rock, the live rock is easily 80% the volume.

the sump has about 75G of water with my main display of 180G. 100# is approx also...could be more or less.

This rock has had 6 months of great growth if it's been in your sump. No predators to eat all the beneficial critters. As was mentioned, there might be some hitchhikers that you're unaware of, but the rock will be good and healthy. The lack of light makes no difference in the curing process.

Very nice. I just put it into my 55G tank and now I'm trying to decide what type of tank I should make it into. Any suggestions?

They LR doesnt need light. Infact this is called Cooking the rock. ITs one way to rid it of pesky alge. If the system it is tied into has proper water readings then i would say its cured and supercharged.

But if you add in to a new tank with all new water and new LS that hasnt been cured then you will get some dieoff and i would let it run a few weeks . I would let it run a few weeks either way.

And reduce there light time from an hour or 2 to full time over a few weeks to reduce any algea growth.

Back