rock scaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

degauss

has anyone got any hints and tips how to layout the rocks in my tank?

thanks i cant belive how fast people reply on this forum 5 star i just cant wait to get into marine (there is alot more to learn than tropical lol)

Im sure Krish will pipe in any minute, he is also good at rockscapin', if you ever need advice on how to make a great wall, look me up!

Im sure Krish will pipe in any minute, he is also good at rockscapin'

Jiddy...It's an obsession(so my wife says) and persistance caused by my OCD(LOL)

Degauss, I'm a stacker relying on simply balancing rocks. It takes a bit longer and can have it's downfalls (like rocks tumbling), but it has always worked out fine for me. Others use acrylic rods and tie straps...I've never tried that approach yet. Here is a picture of my 90 gal with about 100lbs of LR just balanced on one another. Nothing really to talk about compared to some of the others here, but atleast an idea. HTH...

whats this about putting pvc pipe under rock what is the reason for this?

Raising the LR allows for better flow under the rock. You can also drill the rock and insert acrylic rod to do the same thing.
Scott

degauss said:
so is putting LR on th bed a bad thing to do?
Many folks put LR directly on the sand bed if they have one. If you raise the rock slightly above it keeps the flow moving under to keep detritus from collecting. It's easier to siphon it when you can see it.
Scott

A cordless drill, long drill bit, tiestraps, and a tiestrap gun. Quick easy and very very very stable. Coraline grows right over it and it looks like impossible structure.

degauss said:
so is putting LR on th bed a bad thing to do?

The same bacteria that perform Nitrification and denitrification in our sandbeds are migrating phosphorus throughout the sediment at the same time. This same process is also occuring in your LR. Just like a sandbed, LR can become saturated with phosphates. Having the rock sitting directly in the sand will cause the LR to fill up quicker. If you are planning to have an SPS tank, the bacteria will migrate the phosphorus directly into the coral's skeleton from the LR. Excess phosphorus is bad for SPS so that is not a good thing.

Back