RODI brands and things to look for..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

Well I have been blessed with a 125 gallon tank that fell into my lap. I will be setting it up in our office at work rather than replacing my 55 reef with it, and it will most likely be a FOWLR. I will be moving my hippo into it once its set up, and then we will have to see. The point of my post is that I now have complete justification for buying a RODI and so am starting to research them.

Are all RODI filters created equal? Are there brands that I want to stay away from, or features that I need to make sure are there.

Here are the brands I am looking at.
Spectrapure
Water General
Kent Marine
Seachem
Captive Purity

If anyone has a used system let me know. Any pointers or input from you old salts would be appreciated.

Ichthys

Try The Filter Guys, great products at reasonable price. Support is the best that there is. My first ro unit was a generic from Ebay, my second came from the TFG's. A world of difference. Alot depends on what membrane is used.

99.9% of ro filters and components are made by WATTS. A huge company who sells all the pieces to these little guys to relable for themselves. Those genaric ones off ebay are just fine but it helps to find one that has DI and a 100gpd membrane. Abundant water sells them and so does about 100 other retailers not aquarium related.

All your looking for is the clear housings and the correct filters to come in the unit at the time of purchase. If you have city water and are worried that your bill will be high from waste water that it may produce then look for a low or 0 waste unit with the booster pump. I personaly dont know how they work efficiency wise since i dont have that problem but i am sure they help keep waste down, at the cost of pushing water through the membrane causing shorter life i am speculating

I use SpectraPure filters and membranes..they have been around for years and are very reliable...

If interested, SpectraPure is having a back to school sale for all filters and membranes

What about the Dow Filmteck or GE two huge companies in this market? I know Watts makes a lot but I doubt that much, not 99.9% LOL

99.9% of ro filters and components are made by WATTS. A huge company who sells all the pieces to these little guys to relable for themselves.

waste water is my big concern, I recycle my waste water currently best I can
I have a SpectarPure( great buy from another reefer), and very happy with it, and will replace filters with TFG's product...thier customer service is awesome, and to me that is a HUGE advantage

What about the Dow Filmteck or GE two huge companies in this market? I know Watts makes a lot but I doubt that much, not 99.9% LOL

they do make them to there specs. and all the specks come down to is gph ratings and psi to get those ratings. My cousin is a Watts dealer and in his catalog he can sell you a GE or Filmtec or what ever you want the price increase is like $2 to have the Filmtec specs and sticker on it and allows you to sell the ro system as a Filmtec system.

here is the differences in specks and prices right from the source.

viewer.jpg

I bought the Puratek from Barrier Reef, it was kind of spendy but I've been getting a 1:1 waste water ratio and its rated at 100gpd but I think that is rated low. It has the booster pump and TDS meter, etc.

BR

I bought the Puratek from Barrier Reef, it was kind of spendy but I've been getting a 1:1 waste water ratio and its rated at 100gpd but I think that is rated low. It has the booster pump and TDS meter, etc.

Barrier carries the Water General now, and at 189 it seems to have everything you need, it is identical to a SpectraPure unit I was looking at that was over 100 more. I think at 189 its a great deal, will probably buy it, but waiting to win the Video Game competition at the BBQ and use the $100 Gift Cert...

+1 for SpectraPure..Member since '07

Have membrane and filters, no problems and no algae.

Back