RODI UNIT?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

broskie

So I hooked the system up and was wondering if I should be getting so much waste water? I am getting 5 gallons of waste water per maybe 8oz is this right?

GE Unit and not old at all maybe a year at most. I have the water coming from the washing machine cold. It's just seems to drip at a real steady pace

did you check all the filters..and what is the water pressure there. needs to be up over 40. Mine takes 2 days to fill a 35 gallon bucket almost at this house. At the old one it took a third of that.

I run cold from the laundry room also....always have. Our old house pushed over 60 psi this house barely hits 40 psi

oh It's way over 60psi. It's brand new construction but I do have a 85max psi filter prior to the unit. I just re-checked it and I got one good pint maybe a little more for about 10-15 gallons of water. I feel as if its an extreme waste.

Ok so from the right to the left.
the right grey piece is a 85psi max flow filter-prefilter-carbon-carbon- top of membrane- bottom portion draining good water and top portion draining waste water.
photo-27.jpg

I've said it many, many times to my wife, I hate buying used equipment. For the most part it either doesn't work to it's optimum or it goes T.U. after a short time. Get a 5 gallon bucket and an empty milk jug and see how much water you really waste compared to how much you get. Like sandswhitson said should be roughly 4 or 5 gallons to one gallon of the good stuff.

if this is an RO DI unit

The water should go in and pass through two canister filters then go to membrane (cap side)

It will then pass through the membrane and the (round side) will feed waste(top) and the DI Canister (bottom)

It will pass throught the DI Unit and you have your RO/DI water.

From what I see from your picture (and I may not see all of it) it passes throught three canisters, feeds the membrane and then split waste / "good water"

Again yours could be designed differently by the manufacture but the concept should be the same.

Another thing is if you bought this used and the filters dried out (membrane esp.) then you need to replace them (it)

HTH

Aqua FX is a good RODI system. 2 years no problems, and the hoses are color coded so even if you do take it apart you can put it all back.

If this unit has been dissasembled then I would bet that the flow restrictor is missing in from the waste line. RO membranes have to have some back pressure on them to work right. You can take your membrane out and find out how many GPD the membrane is so you can purchase the correct restrictor or you can put a little valve on your waste line and slowly turn it down until you get the correct 4-1 ratio. If your membrane is bad you won't necessarily get more waste water produced but the TDS of the good water will be much higher.

Mine did the same thing once when I left the membrane flush on. This bypasses the flow restrictor. I would check to make sure the flow restrictor on the waste line is correct otherwise you will waste a ton of water.
-chris

It does appear to be hooked up right if the bucket on the floor is the GOOD water.

The membrane should feed into the DI canister unit not into a holding container, like your picture shows. I also agree a missing flow re-stricter could cause this issue also.

What do you mean di canister not a holding tank? Also I can almost guarantee its because I don't have the flow restricted on the waste water.

Back