Rookie questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks sglazne. I am a perfectionist to my own fault sometimes, I am going to try some stuff to see if I can darken it up some and satisfy my whim (and the wifes as well :) ) I will update the pics with the results soon.

Unfortunately, after two weeks of work, nothing I am doing to this stand is getting it to the color and finish we were wanting. Today I start the stripping process and starting over for one more attempt. I think I know what my mistakes were last time and it will hopefully go better this time.

I have ordered all my plumbing bulkheads and fitting from Bulk Reef Supply and they should be here mid week. I am also taking the tank to work to get it drilled sometime this week. The only major thing I am still missing is 4 sets of T5 end caps (have 2 already), reflectors and 6 36" bulbs. I think we have everything else except LR and sand.

We can't say thank you enough to all the people of this site. The information and friendly banter is amazing. We will hopefully have some updates worth posting pics very soon.

From what I understand, that would be referring to adding in water chemistry supplements. You can buy drip pumps to keep your chemistry correct. Things I dose are:

Drip in a saturated kalkwasser solution. I have the dosing for this set up to drip in the solution for 2 minutes every hour IF the time is between 9 pm and 7 am, and also if the pH is less than 8.2. (so it doesn't happen if the pH is over 8.2, or during the daytime.) Kalkwasser supplements in calcium for the coral skeletons, and also raises pH (the saturated solution is 12.1 N or something like that)

When I do water changes, I've figured out I need to add in 1 tbsp. Mg supplement and 1 tbst. hardness supplement. I could do these with a dosing pump so it would drip into the tank at some set amount, but I do weekly water changes, and just add it when I do them. Seems to work good.

I have read a lot on here about the use of Silicone caulking and making sure you use the right one. I went and read every manufacturer and type of silicone at Home Depot and Lowes and this one seems to not have anything in it other than 100% silicone. There is nothing about fungus or mildew protection. Does anyone know is this particular type is ok or if there has been problems with it?

Thanks Rob. I really want to get going on building my sump and overflow but I want to make sure I'm not just building a death trap :) I'm gonna be starting a tank build thread in the next few days. Things are starting to come together and I should start assembling some of it this weekend even. Might even have water flowing next week to test stuff out.

As long as it is 100 percent silicone you're golden. I did research on all the differnt silicones available from Lowe's and Home Depot last year and found that none where okay. Found this out by way of looking at the MSDS (material safety data sheets). If I can find the information I'll post it again.

Back