rose tip anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fish21

I just got a rose tip anemone and it is stuck/hiding in the back where there is no light. Do I try to retrieve it and set it out in the light or leave it be. I had another anemone that would never stay put and finally got sucked up into the filter intake. So now I don't know what to do knowing this one will probably continue to move and I am tired of the chase game. Thanks

Hi there & Welcome to Reef Frontiers :) I also have a rose tip anemone and it did move around till it found a spot that it liked, Help us out More please tell us the size of your tank, How long has it been up, Do you have clowns?, What kind of lights are you running?what is your water chemistry? (spacific gravity??) One thing you can do if it does move to a spot you like Feed it a and it will be more inclined to stay put after feeding unless the water flow/ or lights are to its liking. I would not try to move it wait it out and see what it does.. Hang in there and help follow up on more about your tank...

fish21 said:
I just got a rose tip anemone and it is stuck/hiding in the back where there is no light. Do I try to retrieve it and set it out in the light or leave it be. I had another anemone that would never stay put and finally got sucked up into the filter intake. So now I don't know what to do knowing this one will probably continue to move and I am tired of the chase game. Thanks

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! I would also let it be. It will move to where it likes, so depending on how long it has been hiding, it might not be in shade very long. If you can protect your filter intakes until the anemone finds a comfortable spot, then it will save you from one less worry. I made an eggcrate box (after it already was sucked onto it once) to fit over my closed loop intakes. It served its purpose until I had a friend take the anemone.

wandering anemone

The anemone is a small one, about 3 inches across. I have a 72 gallon tank with 260 watts flourescents. The sp. gr. is 1.22, nitrates and nitrites zero. About 7 other soft corrals and no fish at this time. I have about 100 pounds of live rock and live sand and arag, over 80 pounds. So the anemone is now looking pretty bad through the holes in the rocks. I think it can't get out.

If it is stuck where there is no light I would not leave it there I would try moving the rockwork to make a place for it to stay my sebay finally stays it is anchored on the side of a rock in a crevice with no rocks below it like a cliff here is some reading info
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm
also I would not feed it allot and mine likes frozen krill I give it only a piece of 1 whole krill every other week as my maroon clown feeds it more often and it has gone from pure white to dark brown with purple tips :)

Last edited:
well, I lifted off a rock hanging over it, and it looked real bad. The tentacles looked dark, flat and short. It looked like it needed to be revived. Well, I left it for a couple of hours under direct fluorescent lighting and it looks wonderful. It is still on the back side of the rock pile but it is firmly planted into a crevice and very content. So either I will turn the rock around facing the front or just leave it like that. Not sure yet what I'm going to do. And I thought I was done rearranging the rock work, guess that never happens, learning all the time. I'm three months into this hobby. Thanks for all your suggestions. 90

Great They need lot's of powerfull lighting as you will see in the article Mine is under 440 watts of vho about 9 inches down you can see the rock work and how it is clinging to it by clicking on My Photo Gallery and there you will see the sebay both now and back when I first got it :)

Back