Rowaphos, is really work?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef said:
It also avoids binding of phosphate to corals, live rock and sand, increasing the ability of corals and calcareous algae to grow much faster.
How? Phosphates will naturally bond to CaCO3. I don't see how this could be possible.

Measurement of the aquarium water, when using Phosphate Eliminator will not show that this supplement has bound the phosphate. That is, a test will not give a lower reading. The reason for this is that phosphate test kits require acidic reagents lowering the pH below 4, and such a low pH re dissolves the bound phosphate.
I'm sorry to be so down on a product I haven't fully researched but this seems like advertising a diet pill that is guaranteed to make you lose weight. However, when you get on the scale, you don't see any change because one of the side effects of this diet pill is that it makes you smarter. Each pound of fat that it burns, turns into additional gray matter.

How? Phosphates will naturally bond to CaCO3. I don't see how this could be possible
Well Curt if the inorganic P is being bound by something else prior it will not precipatate on the above listed areas instead.

Curt the reason you wouldnt be able to measure the changes a complicated one. its the same concept as organic P when it comes to measure. What they are saying is that in order to measure the that has be taken out by thier product (as with organic P) is that you would have to melt it back into solution (with the low PH) in order to make the test. Again I can understand thier statement.

I think the hardest part of making this concept work would be to make sure the product got taken out by the skimmer. How would you do that effectively?? once percipatated, it wants to fall and it wants to bind to a seed surface. now thier saying that it doesnt need the seed surface?? now that makes me wonder.

Mike

think I need to pause before hitting enter. Tax season is making me aggressive.

I think it is definately an interesting concept. I still have some difficulties in assessing how you could guarantee that the skimmer would grab the bound P before it could precipitate and bind with the other CaCO3 in the tank unless the product is also CaCO3 based.

Like I said, I have not researched this product. Although I will when I have some spare time.

think I need to pause before hitting enter. Tax season is making me aggressive.

Umm....that and you had me egging you on...lol.

Hmmm....haven't looked at the product, but sounds similar to the way kalkwasser works.

If you don't physically remove the P from the tank, it would seem to have the DSB effect, if I may. It seems that after a while it will be released again or clumped up in a way that would need physical removal.

Back