Royal Gramma

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
Last week I got a Royal Gramma which right now is in my QT with my Sunburst Anthia. Gramma looks great and has been eating well.

This afternoon I noticed a white spot in her tail. I tried to take so pictures but they were not very good. Here I got one that even though is very dark, kind of shows what I am talking about.

61671980ht7.jpg

Please check it out and advice. Thanks in advance. :p

I'm afraid that the photo doesn't help me help you. :rolleyes:

A single, lone spot fits the description of several dozen possible ailments, pathogens, and parasites.

I'm glad you're using a quarantine system, but I would recommend in the future that you only quarantine one fish at a time. If one fish is ill, now you have two ill fishes. If the two fish are ill with different conditions or diseases, now you have two fishes, each with two different diseases that need to be cured. This is just too much stress on an already stressed fish. :evil:

Ich

Man I am learning the hard way for sure, both the Gramma and the Sunburst got ich. I am just glad I put them in the QT.

How should I treat them? :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks for the links James. After reading a lot about both treatments, I decided to go with hiposalinity since it seems to be less stressful for the fishes. I will start the treatment tomorrow morning.

Quick question, since I am lowering the salinity in the QT and I have to keep the ph steady, should I just add baking soda to the fresh water that I am using to dilute the water in the QT and match it to 8.2?

That will be helpful. Usually it isn't enough to add back correct pH water to compensate for evaporation and dilution. There will be a strong drive of the QT hyposaline water to go down in pH and that will require additional effort to keep it up and steady. :)

I think you can also use an airstone to help keep the ph up. Look into that. The airstone will also help keep water circulating. Make sure you are religious on water changes on this QT.

Thanks you guys.

Sadly the Sunburst was dead this morning but the Gramma seems to be hanging there. Salinity is already at 1015 so we'll see how it goes.

Is there a formula of how much baking soda I should add per gallon of freshwater?
Not that I know of. It all depends on the water you start with and since that is usually never exactly the same, then the amount of Sod. Bicarb. differs. Also, the Sod. Bicarb. changes as it takes on moisture.

Back