Royal Gramma

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

No.

What you should be doing is taking some fresh water or saltwater and add the bicarbonate to that. Mix it until it is clear. That solution is what you add to the QT to adjust the pH. You can drip it in or add it slowly, depending on its pH and the target pH you are trying to get to.

Gramma is not doing well again. It has been swimming really wierd lately and eating less everyday, also it is hiding all the time.

I double checked and all parameters are fine.

Sorry to hear of what may be a relapse. The stress of captive life along with disease can sometimes be too much for our marine fishes.

To be on the very safe side, I would make 50% water changes daily for the next 3 or 4 days to see if the fish 'perks up' any.

Gramma keeps going down hill, it's been like dying for days, I think I should put it down because it looks pretty bad. It's not eating, and breathing really slow lying at the bottom on one side.

Any advice?

From your description, I can see no immediate remedy. The water is hyposaline is it? Is the water being kept clean? How often are you doing water changes?

Try raising the saline up slowly (0.003 sp. gr. units per day). Does the condition of the fish change any?

If the water is at normal saline or you've raised the salinity with no positive response from the fish, and the water is good quality, then I'd agree with putting the fish down. There is a thread on that: Euthanasia -- Putting a Marine Fish Down.

Thanks for your response Lee.

Yes the water is hyposaline and it is clean. I've been doing water changes every 3 days and I've monitored the pH closely.

I will try raising the pH to see what happens, if I don't see any improvement I guess I will use your Euthanasia method.

One more thing, how do I clean the QT so I can kill whatever bacteria is in it before I put another fish there?

It's a sad time, I know. Some fish don't do well in hyposaline, despite the fact that the vast majority do okay. So, I thought you should give it a try to raise it up to see if the fish behaves any differently.

I'll post soon about cleaning and give it to you when it's ready.

:|

RIP Gramma

I can't belive I did it. It was really hard but honestly, I feel better now. I should have done it a week ago. I could not stand watching the poor fish dying for so long anymore.

I just hope I won't have to do this ever again. :(

Last edited:
Carlos,

You asked about some cleaning procedures. Please click here and use the procedure where there is the likilhood that disease is still in your QT: Cleaning Procedures.

Good luck!

Back