ruks biocube

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So, there is something that i am seeing more and more off in corners of the rocks, that i am not quite sure what it is...

It looks like a spiderweb that has little moisture on it... but there are white dots...

this is a new frag i got...

and this is he who remains nameless at the moment, just chillen...

Even one 3w red or 3w green in my opinion will be too much for a tank this small and with the enclosed hood I believe that it would be to close for any adjustment. The 3w reds are extremely bright. I do agree that possibly changing some of the coolwhites for a warm white may be beneficial but for the most part I believe that the cool whites and warm whites pretty much peak out in close to the same areas.

any idea to what that is on the rock? that looks like a spiderweb, with little moisture dots?

Damien,

if u want to see what LED red 3w CREE looks light, come see my tank..this will give u a good idea

So i was givin a new light.. not sure if ima put it to use yet cuz i love the lid for my biocube.. but i was givin a blueline 175 watt metal halide setup with 2 36 watt power compact combo pendant. Its nice looking.. and am thinking about it. If i decide to hang i will put up some flics.. has anyone had experience with blueline aquatics? I read that they are the major competitor for icecap because they offer an electric ballast.. i am just curious about it as i never heard of it... also anyone in the area got any chaeto they wanna thin out.. i wanna stuff the back of my biocube with some.. i have no clue where to get any..

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Damien,

my only concern would be finding replacement bulbs for the power compacts..they are hard to find.

try hellolights.com for your ballast needs.

I know I havent done alot of updating, so i decided to run through my phone, and upload a bunch of pics.
This morning I woke up and came down stairs and turned on the fireplace, and right there on the ground it looked like a fish, so i started looking at the tank and realized, i had a jumper.
Homer, my Orange Striped Prawn Goby, took the jump, that left his buddy, "Diggy" the pistol shrimp, lonely.

So this may be alittle picture intensive, but i figured i like to look at pics... so maybe yall do ;c)

A pic of my Hammer
imag0044mt.jpg

This is a Red Milli that i just grabbed *Thanks Kirk!*
imag0057iz.jpg

Candy Cane, and Red Milli are actually both from Kirk. So thanks again Kirk
imag0058d.jpg

A FTS
imag0061s.jpg

Another Hammer Shot
imag0063l.jpg

imag0001it.jpg

Loving the growth on these...
imag0004yg.jpg

This one i was hoping someone could identify, I noticed it growing on the front tip of my rocks.. started with a couple little green things and it seems to be growing pretty steady
imag0008m.jpg

Loving the color that is coming outta these, when i got them I was told they were Everlasting Gobstoppers but they were just white. Now all pretty.
imag0015gp.jpg

Green is popping out good on this now, it was closed or barely open for a long time, now it is gettin a nice size and GREEN!
imag0019bh.jpg

I dont have a name to this one either, but it was white also, and after reading a bit, thats what happens when it expels all its uhm, stuff haha had a brain fart. but it is getting a nice pink in it.. with a green center.
imag0021cu.jpg

A couple more FTS's
imag0026hf.jpg

imag0028up.jpg

And one last one of my Hammer
imag0043xj.jpg

Well i hope you guys enjoyed my update, and if someone could chime in with some exact name for me on some of these, that would be amazing.

Hey Damien, nice update on the tank. Starting to get a little green in there so would suggest increasing your water change schedule and maybe get yourself a Sea Hare or Cowrie to help battle Hair Algae before it gets out of control. I'm going through same issue in my 125g since going fallow, first time in 25+ years that I've had to deal with hair algae arrrgh... Have been manually removing and purchased a handfull of Sea Hares to help out til Tangs go back in on Tax Day. The pretty lil green one is a Mojano which are easily removed by popping them out with a butter knife or clean screwdriver, since it looks as though you can remove the piece of LR without being a PITA I'd suggest that route so you don't spread any tissue back into system. I have some replacement pieces of Birdsnest and Pocillopora for you whenever you make it back over.

Cheers, Todd

What kind of gravel is that? If it is other than reef type gravel such that it is not all calcium based or has other minerals available such as silicates, could create other algae issues.

Oh fishyfishy. I think you just answered my diatom problem. Nice biocube ruks. I Just started mine about to weeks ago. But its a nano cube. Any ideas oh to change my sand. Or am I going to.have to do a complete change. And deal with a longer cycle

HTC tapatalk

Siphon it out as water changes, replace with fresh saltwater. When ready to replace, add the sand with a mug or plastic container, carefully lowering it to the bottom to slowly pour out underwater. Do parts at a time and watch for any cycling

What kind of gravel is that? If it is other than reef type gravel such that it is not all calcium based or has other minerals available such as silicates, could create other algae issues.

It is Carib Sea Live Sand Black. Its weird because the algea only really hits 2 rocks, outta the 5 in there.

I'm using the same sand. I have 20lbs in my tank. The white stuff is crushed coral is it not? And wouldn't that add calcium to the water?

HTC tapatalk

Damian,

if algae is only on 2 of the rocks, could it be a water flow issue? try readjusting the flow to that spot to see if it helps clear it up...also, so good snails might help...it did on my tank as you saw the other day u were here.

kirk, I need to get some snails in there... I just did a big WC and replaced the carbon... So hopefully that helps. I replaced the stock return pump with a rio 2100 which gives me almost double the flow so I was able to take out 2 of my koralia 2's to free more room.. so hopefully that helps with circulation, its weird about the 2 rocks cuz one is on the right side and the other at very top.... Ohh and since yellow striped go by jumped I barely EVER see my pistol shrimp.. should I get another? I'm just worried about adding small fish cuz my female clown does not like noons unless they are bigger than her.. I'm just hoping if I get another go by it will pair quick and get under the rock..

So i added 2 big snails and my tank is almost looking new again.. they are pretty big, so i figured they had a big appetite, not sure which kind they are but they eat hair algae. they snail itself looks like it has tiger stripes on it... They pretty much cleared up the top rock, and putting a dent on the other one.

well im going out and about, today is my 31st bday.. woohoo... ill get a pic up, of the difference in the top rock... its crazy clean.

Back