Running an air hose to address low Ph

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

surf_buddy

Has anyone ever ran an air hose to their shimmer to help raise the oxygen content in their system and raise the Ph? If so how far can you run the hose? Do you need an additional air pump for tanks that are far from an outside air source? Thanks!

I put a small fan in my cabinet/stand to help get some fresh air in there...seems to help with blowing off some of that co2 and raising the ph a bit

I do have a small fan I can run by the intake/sump so I'll give it a try. But Jeff you have seen my set up before... although it been a while. My system is in the middle of my basement with the reef on one room and the sump and fuge in another room. I get plently of circulation in there, I assume, since there air movement with the heating ducts. So Im wondering if it plausible to run a line somewhere outside the house from the skimmer. Thoughts anyone?

I remember reading that plumbing fresh outside air to a skimmer can help with persistent pH problems. In the winter, our houses do not get "aired out" and the CO2 levels tend to climb a bit. This is more prevalent in newer homes that are more airtight due to better windows and doors.

If you do route an airline outside, make sure the air is filtered or not drawing in some undesirable substances in the air. This would be a bigger deal in the warmer months when neighbors spray pesticides and fertilize their lawns. Its not as big of an issue in the winter.

Another thing you can do is to air out your house when the weather warms up a bit. It might make you feel better too.

Gary

Back