Running two phosoban reactors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JenC2012

So I'm setting up a 55 gallon seahorse tank with 10x turnover, that will house in addition to 4 seahorses (that I intend to breed): sun coral, ricordia, zoas,palys, a sponge or two, and various macro algae.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can run two 150 phosban reactors at once, one running phosphate sponge and/or carbon and the other with the NPX bio pellets. For filtration I also have a uv sterilizer and a reef octopus skimmer, but no refugium.

I know that seahorses are messy eaters, so I want to be prepared for their bio load. I do intend on having a feeding station to cut down on the mess. I will dose with iron, which will make hair algae go crazy if there are phosphates.

Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Jen, I think running two Phosban-150's would be fine except that they would need to be ran on two seperate pumps for those two medias. The Bio-pellets I believe need a much higher flow rate than GFO does. I'm still planning on, yet have not set it up to run two 150's in sequence with a 50/50 mix of GFO and Carbon using a single pump. This way I can alternately change out media each month (2 months in each reactor) I found that mixing in the carbon the GFO did not clump and had a nice gentle tumble.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Back