Salifert Calcium Test Kit Bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

juke

Schooler
I have jus cracked open a brand new CA test kit by Salifert and tested my water. I tested the water 2 times and the color simply never changes. There is no way that my water has 0 Calcium. I just finished the cycle, and had done my first 25% wc.

I have used Salifert kits in the past and they always have proved to be excellent. My ALK/KH was a bit low, (2.23/6.3dKH) so I added my first dose of 2 Part B-Ionic today right after the water change. I use Oceanic Salt...

Anyone heard of bad test kits before? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Josh I believe with salifer Ca Kits it means that your levels are above 500. Yeah I just double checked with my directions. If you use up the whole 1.0 ml your Ca levels are greater then 500.

Chris

Yeah just keep adding it, fill another syringe to the mark and add where ever it turn color to 1, then do the math like it has at the bottom of the instructions.

The Oceanic salt is the reason.
Calcium off the charts and alk way to low.
Not a bad test kit its the salt mix.

natman2 - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

When I used Oceanic, and tested for calcium, I would use one whole syringe then part of another. I just added the calcium level results from the two syringes together.

Raising Alk

In response to this problem with Oceanic Salt, I plan on switching brands to IO which I used on my last tank. For the interim, is there anything that I can do to raise the alk?

I added B-Ionic 2 part yesterday after I ran all of my tests.

That's what I kept using...a KH buffer. Have you tested your Magnesium? If I remember correctly, it was very high, as well, when using Oceanic.

Have not been testing Mag... I plan on a 10% wc with IO salt later this week. I will continue to dose B-ionic. There has been a few discussions on using Baking soda to raise alk. From the discussions it appears that some use it and some do not . There wasn't anything difinitive about using it. Any one been using A & H and seeing positive or negative effects?

Thanks again,
Josh

Back