salifert phosphate test results

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

frameguy

I have 55 gallon live rock and fish sysytem, and plan on having lps and mushrooms, ricordea, and no sps. I just did my first Salifert phosphate test and got .25 I take it this is PPM? I have a Fluval with phosGuard. Is this an exceptable parameter, or should I shoot for lower with system I plan on running? Thanks guys, there is conflicting anwers online.

You are correct on the PPM.

Ultimately you want your phosphates as close to 0 as possible. Just because you aren't planning on adding any sps to the tank doesn't mean that you should take your P04 lightly. As you may already know that elevated phosphates can lead to algae problems. Your algae issues are easier to keep at bay then they are to get rid of them once they become a problem.

I would recommend trying to get that number under .08

Thanks Bear, I will change out phosguard. Boy I checked Alk and Calcium and after 6 weeks with 1 water change and good ro/Di water i was at 260 calcium and 7 dkh. I am using instant ocean. Perghaps I should upgrade my salt. Makes me wonder if I do WC for phosphate and nitrate control , I will lower ALK and calcium. Welcome back to reef tanks!! Thanks again.

Thanks Bear, I will change out phosguard. Boy I checked Alk and Calcium and after 6 weeks with 1 water change and good ro/Di water i was at 260 calcium and 7 dkh. I am using instant ocean. Perghaps I should upgrade my salt. Makes me wonder if I do WC for phosphate and nitrate control , I will lower ALK and calcium. Welcome back to reef tanks!! Thanks again.

260 Calcium and 7 dkh?

I am going to check again, first time using a salifret kit. I am going to LFS friday with new results and have them run their own test, as these levels are crazy low.

Had LFS check alk and calcium. They came up with 7 dkh and 400 calcium. So i got bad reading on calcium test. I will redo until I replicate or return calcium test kit. Thanks all.

Back