Sally LF crab banished to refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fijiwigi

I have a Sally light foot crab that is getting aggressive in my 46g bow., I like the crab very cool to watch. I am however afraid to add more life because of the crabs aggressive behavior. I think I am going to go crabless from this point on. My question is can I just put the crab in my refugium to feed on live rock rubble. Its that or take it to the LFS for some other poor sole who may or may not keep it alive. My refugium is 10x12x10 I realize the refugium is suppose to be a safe haven for copeods and such will the SLF crab devoir these probably? So what shall I do Any thoughts./

I have a good sized Sally Light Foot in my 50 gal SPS dominant tank and he does fine. He helps keep the corals, rocks and hydors clean of algae. What made the crab aggressive in your tank?

I have had like 4 snails come up dead they were acclimated fine and parameters have been fine as well I can't contribute it to anything else. and when I feed the fish he tends to jump at the food I saw him jump like 6". Makes me nervous he is also getting big. I don't know if the SLF crab had anything to do with the snail deaths But I have read they get aggressive as they get larger and even start attacking small fish. Just want to play it safe.

i had a SLcrab that was responsible for killing 2 damsels and a hippo tang a while back... i couldn't figure out what was killing them.. i finally saw him stalking a damsel. he lashed out at it and scraped it down its' side.. i got rid of him..... i would't keep the crab in your refugium.. i would try to find him a good tank to go in to....does your lfs have a display tank???

i had a SLcrab that was responsible for killing 2 damsels and a hippo tang a while back... i couldn't figure out what was killing them.. i finally saw him stalking a damsel. he lashed out at it and scraped it down its' side.. i got rid of him..... i would't keep the crab in your refugium.. i would try to find him a good tank to go in to....does your lfs have a display tank???
Yeah I figured keeping him in the refugium was a bad idea. Hopefully I can catch the crab and take him to the LFS. the crab is fast a lightning.

Yeah I figured keeping him in the refugium was a bad idea. Hopefully I can catch the crab and take him to the LFS. the crab is fast a lightning.

I also had a SLF crab in my bowfront at one point. To catch him/her I tied a piece of shrimp on a string, he came right out and grabbed ahold of it and I was abled to pull up the string and net the crab. Got it on the first shot. Hope this helps.

ihad a mantis shrimp ( which is now in a species tank ) and i caught him with the old inverted bottle trick just cut the top off the bottle and push it backwards into the bottle
so it makes a funnel put bait in the hole and drop it in the tank soon your crab will crawl in and get stuck:D:D:D, unless hes to big and cant get in the bottle:mad: good luck

Back