Salt Mix Parmeters vs Tank Parameters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bearjohnson

With my Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) running since I started my 125g tank, I haven't been able to detect a Phosphate reading of even .01 with my Hanna Checker. So I ordered an Elos P04 test kit just to make sure nothing is wrong with my Hanna. Knowing that a fresh batch of salt mix will have P04 in it to register on the Hanna I decided to give it a test. Also today I did a 30g WC in the tank and decided to try a small experiment just to see what the readings would be. After filling the tank I saved a cup full of the new salt mix just to test the parameters vs the tank water. I wasn't interested in the fact that I altered the tank water with new salt water, I was more interested in the current tank water and the fresh batch of salt water going back in the tank. The salt mix I'm using is E.S.V. B-Ionic Seawater System Salt Mix which I'm not planning on using again once I've used it all. (It's jut easier to dump salt in the water than it is to measure 4 different ingredients)

Here are the results of all my Hanna Readings:

Tank water Parameters after WC

P04 - .02
Alkalinity - 136 ppm - 7.616 dKH - 2.72 meq/l
Calcium - 452
Sg - 1.026

Fresh Mixed Salt

P04 - .04
Alkalinity - 146 ppm - 8.179 dKH - 2.92 meq/l
Calcium - 480
sg - 1.026

(For this, I did not test for Magnesium because I generally keep my Magnesium levels elevated and dose with Kent Marine Tech M)

This experiment was only for my own personal curiosity and I thought I'd share the results for others and welcome any comments or adding information.

I would only use instant ocean brand salt mix as not only does it mix faster and it's natural.. it also contains other elements most salt mixes don't have.

Back