Salt water mix length of time

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I mixed up some salt water last night around 8 pm. I plan on doing a water change tonight around 7pm. Is that enough time to let the water mix together with the salt. I put the water and salt in a large bucket with a pump.

I wait 24 to 48 hours. The 48 hours is due more to be lazy and not doing it after 24hrs.

I use power heads to mix it.

I SHOULD wait 24 hours, but it doesn't always work out. I do use a pump to help it dissolve better.

Depends on how big a pump you are mixing with.... we used a mag 7, let me tell you it didn't take anytime to get it all dissolved.:lol::lol: Sometimes it would sit for a few days until we got around to doing the water change. Sometimes a very short time when there was a need for a quick change.

Depends on how big a pump you are mixing with.... we used a mag 7, let me tell you it didn't take anytime to get it all dissolved.:lol::lol: Sometimes it would sit for a few days until we got around to doing the water change. Sometimes a very short time when there was a need for a quick change.

You may not know this but you need to let it aerate also, just dissolving isn't enough & actually your hurting your inhabits by not doing so! You should reach oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium, which takes about 24 hours.
A big pump isn't enough to do this! Not that you can't do it quicker in emergencies but I would not do that on a regular bases!

Didn't say you have to Mike, unless you know how to properly do it you should allow it time. Throwing in a Mag & saying it is all good isn't enough, BTW I also use a Mag 7, also It is still recommended to allow it to naturally balance out.

I use a DIY modded maxi-jet that another gave me because it was REALLY noisy due to being over modded. Really churns up the water, salt, and air like a boat moter. Crystal clear in minutes, I give it a couple hours to be safe.

I seldom let it mix for more than a couple of hours and I change 75 gallons at a time every 1-2 weeks.

I DO use a mag 36 with a 1/4" venturi on it to spin and bubble for these two hours though

lol ill be the out cast... i wait about 15 seconds..... 1 min at the most..

the Tm salts desovle with the quickness.....

TM may dissolve the quickest but is still doesn't reach equilibrium any faster. Just because you see no affects just shows how much you don't know, not that it is safe to use your method.

This is probably bad practice, but I usually do about an hour mix time with a powerhead. Then in it goes.

I've been known to do a 10 minute mix and dump before as well. Dont follow my example

I use quick mixing OceanPure salt

hard to kick old school habits

ive bin mixing my water the same for 2 years... you cant really be saying that its wrong....

what am i not seeing?

Microscopic salt crystals are harmful to corals and fish plus the chemicals go thorough a huge balancing act until it is stable. Need to give the oxygen and CO2 more time to balance with the salts. Give it a little more time and turbulance and your tank will reward you.

Last edited:
To add to what Mike is saying, it is like adding chlorine to a pool, ever hold a little then put it in the water, it heats up fast thus burning your skin. Now imagine you doing that to your fish & corals, no it won't kill them but continual practice will weaken their immune systems (burning off the slim on their scales) & dampen the growth rates of your corals, ever notice how the close up when you do a change, all you need is a little time to let it equalize, yes you can do the instant change in emergencies but I wouldn't recommend it on a continual basis.

ya but they dont close up.

ive bin doing instant change for 2 years.

Back