Salt Water question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

QADoug

I have been looking at RO/DI systems to help eliminate some of the algae problems I am having. It will cost about $200 for the system I want. I currently have a FO system.

My financial manager (wife) asked me why I don't just go down to the Seattle Aquarium and buy sea water. $200 would buy a lot of sea water. I could start doing my water changes with real sea water and that should eliminate some of the algae problems.

My question... Does anybody else go down to the aquarium and get sea water? Is that as good as having a RO/DI system to make "pure" sea water? Other than the hassle of hauling around 20+ gallons of sea water (for my water changes) are there any other reasons to go ahead and buy the RO/DI system?

Thanks

With an RO/DI system your top-off water will be purified. Because the Seattle Aquarium water is just for water changes much of the phosphates and other chemicals still make it in on the top-off water. . I know some people here use it. Its a nice system they have set up. I don't think water changes will reduce the phosphates as much as eliminating thier source.

For a cheaper RO/DI you might try ebay and look for the name AirWaterIce or AquaSafeCanada. I bought my 100 gpd system from AquaSafe, it ran $100 for a 5-stage setup with 3 gallon tank to hold drinking water.

Last edited:
the water from the aquarium is not as good. It isn't truly pure. Especially on days where there is run-off from the rain there are lots of potential polutants. RO/DI is great. You do not need a $200 system however. You can get a really nice one for about half that, that makes 100gal per day - more than anyone could need. Check them out, Aqua Safe is the brand.

there was a post about this about 6 wks ago as well with some of the other cons of the water from the aquarium.

I have used the aquarium water before. I would suggest going the opposite way . Use it for start up as your going to have tons of organics in your new tank no matter what when ou first cycle, But then revert to a ro/di system after that. You should be able to find one for a lot cheaper then 200, Nashons links are good dealer.
On the aquarium water, it is 5 cents a gallon, you will need to go thier and set up an account. MAKE SURE you only get the water after a long period of no rain, a week is best. When it rains you end up with all the wash off from the roads and piers, that stuff you dont want.

Mike

Buy used RO/DI.. plenty of people going out of hobby...
and... also before you buy the RO/DI... but a TDS meter.... its cheap and it will tell you how bad your source water is...

In renton, we are lucky because we have 30 to 40 reading... which is good compared to other location.

What is a TDS meter? Also, how do you measure phosphate and silica levels in saltwater?

Thanks,
Doug

you have to use test kits the measure phos but a tds meter is used for fresh water. I bought one on ebay for $20 or so..

Total Disssolved Solids, and a salifert silicate, and a salifert phosphate test kit will do nicely. TDS meters on Ebay for under 20$ from thesilvergenie and RODI on ebay from aquasafecanada for under 130$ six stage and a excellent system with great customer support. I have one and recomend them highly. Steve

tdsmeter, is an electronic device that you put the tip of it to your water you want to test. You press a button and that device will display a number... like a thermometer...

zero is pure
and 300 is not pure... or something
I have 30 in Renton area...

the majority is never wrong, i think an ro system would work best , i just recieved my 110gpd ro yesterday, i got it off ebay for 50 bucks (32 dollar shipping, still good) for a 5 stage with a drinking water tank with a free psi meter and tds meter off ebay from these guys called aquasafe. Shipping took than 2 days cuz theyre located in blane, WA. these systems are pretty good, i get a reading of 0-3 on the tds meter with this water. i highly recommend these guys

Last edited:
Back