Salt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I just started my 58 gallon tank with 80 of live rock. I used Oceanic salt and the tank has been up for two weeks.

Could I use another salt or should I stick with Oceanic? I have read a recent thread where some folks were not fond of Oceanic.

What is a good salt to use? Since I have no fish or coral or anything but LR.
Could I change now?

i don't know about changing the type of salt, but for me i don't think it would affect anything since you don't have anything in there more than just rock.
I used to use Kent sea salt and it was a very good salt too.

I'd think the main reason you don't switch while your tank is loaded is because of the live stock, you don't want to throw them into shock. One thing you will need to do it test, test everything you have now & continue to water test until you have several wc under your belt. On a side note, when people talk about salt or other problems doesn't mean you should drop everything and panic, in this case most people keep their salt from Oceanic at higher salinity levels that Oceanic designed their salt to be mixed balanced, so this can cause problems but I doubt that you can't absolutely not use the product without some success.

in this case most people keep their salt from Oceanic at higher salinity levels that Oceanic designed their salt to be mixed balanced,
Or one could look at that as Oceanic designed their salt to be balanced at a salinity that no reef is at??

When changing salts thier CAN be problems, certain salts have been shown to give negative effects when certain brands are mixed. Best way to deal with this is to go very slow with small percentage water changes. this seems to counter any bad effects.

Mike

Vina from this forum uses Ocean and IO in 50/50 proportions. And she likes it very much. She claims that it is best of both world.

I have heard of many people using the 50/50 with good results. It followed the RC threads about how oceanic was killing and growing algae.

I have used Tropic Marin on my previous tank and with my current tank. I did jukmp on the Oceanic bandwagon and did a couple of water changes and had to replace some water due to trading with it. I had poor results with Oceanic. I don't know what exactly it was, but what I think is the most important factor is to find what you like and your tank mates like and stick with it and be consistent. The Oceanic, for whatever reason produced an alage bloom which after about 4 weeks has all but gone away with a couple of major water changes with my tried and true salt. If you were to change salts I would do what others have mentioned and do it slowly.

My $.02

Back