SaltyFish's New 90 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltyfish

Banned
I got a wild hair growing out of my body and decided I need to upgrade my 55 corner last week. Since I had 4 days off I thought this could not be a better time to do it. I will come back with a nice new tank to show off so here goes.

Please remember all this was stuffed into a 55 gallon corner unit and I just got done moving everything over lastnight. Of course I took pictures along the way.

I had a rather large sump (rated for a 300 gallon tank) so I used that so I could use my skimmer and a larger return pump into to help move the water in the tank. I only had a Rio 3100 laying around so I used that for now. I will try to go out and get a new mag pump here shortly. Today is Tuesday and no local shops are open today

90Gallon01.jpg

90Gallon02.jpg

90Gallon03.jpg

90Gallon04.jpg

90Gallon05.jpg

90Gallon06.jpg

90Gallon07.jpg

90Gallon08.jpg

90Gallon09.jpg

90Gallon10.jpg

90Gallon11.jpg

90Gallon12.jpg

All the above pictures were within a day of each other, spanned over 3 days, all were when I first turned on the lights. Hopefully when everything comes out tonight or tomorrow I will get some better shots. I only had time in the morning to take the pictures.

I will add some other coral and a fish or two but I am not going to add to the height of the rock. That is already 95 lbs of LR and I like to have a place for the fish to swim.

Another thing I was thinking about was to allow this to grow out naturally so I dont want to over crowd the tank.

My skimmer should not have to be upgraded, I had it oversized on my 55 when I bought it. If I didn't upgrade the tank I knew it would be easier to sell or give away a bigger skimmer. The skimmer is rated at 80 gallons for a fully stocked tank. With the rock / sand displacement I only have about 70 to 75 gallons of water and of course you see it is not fully stocked.

Remember those pictures are first thing in the morning. I am sure it will look kind of full once everything comes out out of the stock from the move.

Last edited:
nope ASM with needlewheel

That skimmer is for my 630 gallon I am going to set up in the new house once it is built.

I only upgraded to a 90 because my wife told me that my 55 was over crowded and she wanted a glass tank. I use to sell a lot of fresh water stuff to a LFS, mainly I would supply them with certain fish and plants. My Plant supplier closed his doors and so I no longer do that. I have lots of credit with them, well had.

The only thing this cost me was the lights and sand. I could have got my sand through them but Kevin was cheaper on that. They were cheaper on the salt so it was a trade off. If anyone in Spokane looking for cheap Instant Ocean salt Evergreen has it at 35.00 a bucket (makes 160 gallons)

The Sump, Skimmer, and Pumps I already had from over the years in the hobby.

Now it is time to go through everything I have and get rid of things. Keep an eye on the boards I will be giving away things just to get rid of them.

Thanks for the WB

Wife just emailed me and realized I put the tank in the next spot to get new carpet. My reply was it was planned so I can get my office done first.

I think I am evil sometimes if not all the time

As a sat at my desk today I took a few shots from across the room and emailed them to my wife. She was worried that all the fish did not make it over but I assured her they did. I had to prove with pictures and she wanted to see the clam so here you go... Enjoy

90Gallon19.jpg

90Gallon20.jpg

90Gallon21.jpg

90Gallon22.jpg

90Gallon23.jpg

todays pictures, everyting is only out about half way but it is looking a lot better

These are a Nice Grren Color in the tank.
(I guess I need Tony or Sid to come take some good pictures)

90Gallon25.jpg

90Gallon26.jpg

90Gallon27.jpg

90Gallon28.jpg

90Gallon29.jpg

90Gallon30.jpg

Looks good man! I like the aquascaping, leaves lots of room for growth.

What are you using for calcium/Alk? That Derasa is going to grow fast and will suck up both Ca/Alk. Mine grew from about 4 inches to over 12 in less than 3 years...be ready.

Nick

Looks good man! I like the aquascaping, leaves lots of room for growth.

What are you using for calcium/Alk? That Derasa is going to grow fast and will suck up both Ca/Alk. Mine grew from about 4 inches to over 12 in less than 3 years...be ready.

Nick

Ask Kevin I bought it from him, lol Sorry it too early to think but I think it is by Kent. I am testing by dosing by hand. Trying to get the pattern down of when I might need to dose.

I loved my 55 full tank look but I was always worried they were too close so this is great with room for growth. At the rate I am going by the time I get my 630 going this one will be over grown.

Pay close attention to your Alk as that is what will be used up the fastest.

Nick

Thanks for the tip, looks like I need to go see Kevinpo today and have this tested to make sure i am doing this test right.

Looks good to me but these color tests to a color blind man can be tricky

Matt you got my automation ready yet?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, looks like I need to go see Kevinpo today and have this tested to make sure i am doing this test right.

Looks good to me but these color tests to a color blind man can be tricky

Matt you got my automation ready yet?

Color blind, ARGGGHHH do I know what you mean bro, I have to make my wife test my water:cool: I cant tell bblue from purple or grey and cant tell pink from purple red from orange or green and brown... Makes testing impossible for me....

Your automation? I got your CR and skimmer ready to ship!!!! you need a Kalk reactor next with a ATO and your automation will be complete!!!!

Matt

Color blind, ARGGGHHH do I know what you mean bro, I have to make my wife test my water:cool: I cant tell bblue from purple or grey and cant tell pink from purple red from orange or green and brown... Makes testing impossible for me....

Your automation? I got your CR and skimmer ready to ship!!!! you need a Kalk reactor next with a ATO and your automation will be complete!!!!

Matt

Well you got a PM lets get the KR going now, I heard you need some more busy time

Cool, I just ordered the parts, should have this one done real soon and then we will ship it all over to ya... thats going to an exciting day huh?

matt

Oh yes very exciting.

Before you ship can you sit down and make a list of things I will need for each of these units? Such as supply pump for the Skimmer, bottle etc for CR.

Maybe put what you suggest I use or what has worked best fo you in the past.

Where can I get a complete ATO system? I have seen some that you have to piece together. I would like to just buy a good kit and be done with it.

Thanks
James

Back