SaltyFish's New 90 Gallon

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was reading your thread and noticed that you have your ro/di going straight to your sump via an ATO. Now I'm probably not as experienced as you but i've heard from several people that this can set you up for a huge disaster.

If the float switch fails, even two switches used in succession for redundancy, water will be continuously added to the tank. This kill the livestock, plus flood the floor. Same if the protein skimmer overflows
Also if the city does any work on the plumbing by your house it'll probably affect your water produced by the ro/di and send stuff straight into your tank, such as copper or ammonia.
It's safer to have your ATO go to a rubermaid bin that you can fill up when needed. That way you can test the water if needed and make it so even if the whole bin empties in your sump it wont overflow or cause too big of a fluctuation in salinity. Just a thought

I was reading your thread and noticed that you have your ro/di going straight to your sump via an ATO. Now I'm probably not as experienced as you but i've heard from several people that this can set you up for a huge disaster.

If the float switch fails, even two switches used in succession for redundancy, water will be continuously added to the tank. This kill the livestock, plus flood the floor. Same if the protein skimmer overflows
Also if the city does any work on the plumbing by your house it'll probably affect your water produced by the ro/di and send stuff straight into your tank, such as copper or ammonia.
It's safer to have your ATO go to a rubermaid bin that you can fill up when needed. That way you can test the water if needed and make it so even if the whole bin empties in your sump it wont overflow or cause too big of a fluctuation in salinity. Just a thought

I have the same set up, but I use 2 switches, a hi and low. The low switch is in the sump and the high switch is in the tank. If something should go wrong and the low switch should get stuck on, when the high water level in the tank would shut it down. As long as the high switch is activated the ato will not pump water. As far as flooding, when I built and installed my sump I put in a drain high in the sump that drains into the basement drain. If my pump or anything else failed the water just goes down the drain. When I do water changes, I just turn off my return pump and about 15 gallons of water flows into the drain.

As far as flooding, when I built and installed my sump I put in a drain high in the sump that drains into the basement drain. If my pump or anything else failed the water just goes down the drain. When I do water changes, I just turn off my return pump and about 15 gallons of water flows into the drain.

That is what I did so no flooding. Make water changes easy. I do small rio that I take in and out of the sump to pump out the sump completely.

Well lets see, while tyler made a few good points, they are unlikly to happen and here is why.

1. I work from home and my fish tank is right next to me.
2. My city is too lazy to do any work let alone on my house.
3. My city is one that sends notices 15 days before they touch anything.
4. I thought of flooding so I put a drain in my sump.

However it is a point well taking and I think it is good cause to change my design. Not sure my wife is going to like the reason but hey even she can't say no to this one. I just wonder how many pairs of new shoes this is going to cost me. Gee thanks tyler.. =)

Two months old:
Yes it has been two months already and while I have battled in some areas of the tank and lost some fish the tank is looking better then ever. The coraline algae is really starting to pop out on the rocks. While the corals and clams are starting to show good signs of growth.

Opps how did they get in there, all well they get into everything!
90Gallon56.jpg

Softball anyone?
90Gallon57.jpg

90Gallon58.jpg

90Gallon59.jpg

90Gallon60.jpg

90Gallon61.jpg

90Gallon62.jpg

90Gallon63.jpg

90Gallon64.jpg

Last edited:
that tank is looking great!!

i wish my tank looked that good when it was 2 months old great job man

I know it is month 4 and I have not posted pictures yet.

Amazing how much everything is growing I will try to get to it by the 5th month update.

ok Month #4

Some how I could not count. I was going to post pictures at 4 months but I wanted a better camera to do it with. So I bought a Canon Rebel T1i thing. I don't know much about it but it takes great softball pictures. Aw yes softball season for the girls have come and almost gone. Now I can get back to my tanks.

So here is my little over 4 month pictures.... Things are really starting to grow and attach to the rocks. Look at the bonsi's in the back. they used to be sticks. The Orange plate was so tiny and I never thought it would do anything. I got it from Tony as a break off piece, see if this grows.

Due to the hard times I have put the 630 on hold and will convert my 300 over to salt this next month (I hope)

So on with the pictures.....

90Gallon66.jpg

90Gallon67.jpg

90Gallon68.jpg

90Gallon69.jpg

90Gallon70.jpg

90Gallon71.jpg

Back