Sand bed depth

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Martyfree

Hi people,
I have a question about my sand bed. After reading the forum's, I have come to the conclusion that my sand bed is too deep. I have a mix of crushed coral and olite sand about four inches deep. It does tend to collect waste but I try to stir it up when I do water changes. The content of this tank has been together for over a year but it was in two smaller tanks that I combined into a 72G bowfront. When I combined them I added more crushed coral. My question is, should I remove some of the sand? The tank is happy and healthy right now but I am concerned how this will work out in the long run.

I wouldnt Marty, taking apart a dsb is a big and complicated thing which will require you to tear down and rebuild. The DSB is designed to run for a period of time (which can be a long time based on what ever bioload you have) so for me if it is setup and happy I wouldnt screw around with it until you have to?? if that makes sence.

On the next one though dont use crushed coral.

mojo

Totally agree with mojo. I had major problems with crushed coral and sand so I am upgrading to a 125gal and using only livesand and thinking no more 1 inch to1 1/2 inch thick.

If your sand bed is more than 1" deep, DON'T stir it up. Stirring it up defeats the purpose of a DSB. Also, I'm with everyone else, DON'T use Crushed Coral. Because of it's size range, it tends to trap detritus, much more than a fine sand. In trapping detritus, it becomes a nutrient sink, adding to phosphate and nitrate issues. A bunch of Nassarius snails can help, as they feed, in and on the sand bed, cleaning up some of the detritus, while naturally stirring the sand bed, which is much different than you stirring it.

thanks

Thank you for your response'
I do have three white snails that work the sand for me, that must be helping.
I run carbon and phosphate remover constantly through a canister filter in addition to the sump with miracle mud. I must have stumbled onto a good balance because the tank looks great so far!

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    29.8 KB
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    90.4 KB
An easy way to remove sand a little at a time is when you do water changes. Just suck some up with your tube and discard.

I use my cannister as a media reactor. Very course sponge just so no carbon might come loose and go thru the motor.
I just put bagged P remover and carbon in the baskets. When its time to change the media, there is very little ditrius inside the canister.

aren't cannister filters bad on the saltwater setups? (nitrate traps)

Any device or setup that has oxygenated water running over some kind of substraight will allow for the growth of a bacteria strain who by products in nitrate, so yes they will. However as long as you are very deligent to clean out the unit you can avoid them taking hold.

Mojo

It really doesn't matter what depth the bed is. A new tank is a mess until things mature, need grunge, live rocks, critters running around through the sand or gravel bed. Nothing will look good or last forever. That high priced aragonite does not last either, there is chemical bonding going on and buffering beyond our control. I use a two inch layer and move it around every few months when I siphon --- I do not touch the sump substrate !

Keep many small snails and good grunge --- If you hypo-salinated for disease or have used chemicals you need more grunge from a live tank. I have a few threads that go in depth on this issue if you want more information.

Many use no substrate in the main tank. To each their own !

OFM

Back