Sand Question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mal1099

Was just wondering if moving sand from a setup tank to a new tank would cause any cycle issues. Since im going to be going into my 150 soon should i move the sand or not? Or just seed the new tank with a little bit of it?

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents.

I'd assume that even stirring up the sand in the same tank would knock some debris up and cause a sort of mini-cycle to occur.

If you're going to move it, I would rinse it out before putting it into the new tank. (pillow case and bathtub foucet?)

I'd think if it was well rinsed, there's no reason not to move it. Maybe take a small amount out that you don't rinse to preserve any of the bacteria living in it, but rinse most of it....

Anyway, I'm no expert

rob

If your going to re use sand at all i would rinse it get all the detritus out and then rinse again. I usually rinse any kind of sand 6-8 times before putting it in my tank. I just make a 5 gallon bucket of salt water and continue to rinse till its gone.

Just seed it, chance for a new cleaner tank. Upgraded from a 75 to a 150 and only used cup or to, reused about 60# of old LR, added another 100 and about 2-3 cups of old sand and had very little re-cycling

When I got my 45 it had sand still in it. Had been sitting with a couple inches of water for at least two weeks.
I took all of it out....fit in a 5 gallon bucket to the top, then rinsed with fresh water, untill the runoff water was clean.
Put it back into the tank with new water, live rock fresh out of an etablished tank and 4 pounds of new live sand to seed.
I had a really quick cycle......like two weeks, and was good to go.
So you'll be good rinsing and seeding.....IMO... And you'll have a short cycle.

+1 on rinsing in saltwater, I transferred all 40+ lbs from old system to new plus added 20 more lbs live after rinsing thoroughly out in the old saltwater. IMO it kept everything alive and had no real cycling issues at all. 110g's of new saltwater and all clean but alive rock & sand w/ a little crushed coral to keep it all from blowing around to much.

P.S. by rinsing in saltwater you can keep alot of the good critters alive ie; pods, stars, snails & worms that are residing in your substrate

Todd

Last edited:
Back