Sand Sifting Goby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a golden head goby in my 90 gallon and he is pretty cool he is always sifting through the sand people think it's funny when they come over. I bought mine from Reef Mystique but I have seen them recently at Blue Sierra.

Brian

personally, I never had good luck with golden head sleepers..always die within 1-2 months.

I prefer the orange diamond goby...i've had this one almost 3yrs sifting my 375g tank...

the key to any sand sifting goby is get them to eat frozen food (meat), otherwise they will starve and die..

personally, I never had good luck with golden head sleepers..always die within 1-2 months.

I prefer the orange diamond goby...i've had this one almost 3yrs sifting my 375g tank...

the key to any sand sifting goby is get them to eat frozen food (meat), otherwise they will starve and die..

I thought I might lose mine when I first got him he got real skinny, and then one day he decided to start eating frozen food. He is still a little skinny but slowly getting better. He also was really skiddish when I first got him but now he is always out and about.

I thought I might lose mine when I first got him he got real skinny, and then one day he decided to start eating frozen food. He is still a little skinny but slowly getting better. He also was really skiddish when I first got him but now he is always out and about.

Brian

I prefer the Diamond Goby as well, do be careful though, i lost 2 due to jumping. The one i have now has been in there like 4 months now though. The 2 that jumped did so in the first couple days (both at night), so i would suggest covering the tank at night for the first couple weeks if possible. I used some eggcrate and a towel.

In the begining I lost a orange spotted goby to carpet surfing, I have since learned.

I was warned when i first got him so i made a cover for my tank but some how they both slipped out from a whole i still cant seem to find.

We got a golden headed sleeper 2 months ago and have been very lucky. He started eating everything right away and has doubled in size. He makes a mess and even been responsible for moving some very large rocks as he undermines the foundations but he is really worth it. We call him "Odo" (remember the shapeshifter from Star Trek?)

I had all so lost my orange spotted to carpet surfing.Didn't know be for i bought it ,but now i know better.

They call the brown barred goby diamond goby's here. Its by far the best sand sifter i've ever owned. He's been in my tank for 2+ yrs. Remember though, with great sand sifting power comes with great coral covering power as well.

I was warned when i first got him so i made a cover for my tank but some how they both slipped out from a whole i still cant seem to find.

I at first just put the egg crate over the tank, but he made the perfect leap through it, after that i started putting the towel on top of the egg crate. Sneaky little guys..

I have one of the barred goby as well. Also known as a dragon goby. He's a good sifter, constantly working over the sand, but the only issue I have with it is he doesn't dig very deep. He just takes in the surface sand basically. The orange diamond and gold head both dig a little deeper as far as I understand.

Back