saw the coolest thing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishoutofwater

So after the lights were out in the tank tonite I go to target feed my suncorals and other corals I start looking at the tank with my flashlight as usual before I shut the system down. Upon looking at my one acan colony I notice alot of small bugs scattering around when the flashlight hits them. I am talking hundreds. I have a ton of copepods but these are different. So I went and shut the pumps down so I can feed and once everything settles I notice in the top right corner of the tank some movement. I moved over and started looking and to my surprise they were actually shrimp. I have 6 pepperment shrimp on that end of the tank and I have seen small fry hatch but they never survive. The amazing part of this story is that these were actually larger and growing with no issues. There were hundreds and hundreds of them. I tried taking pics but they did not come out the greatest but here are a couple. This was so cool to see in person. Looks like they might actually survive. Then after I turned everything back on 2 of my peppermints came out and both had huge egg sacks on them too. well atleast I know my mandarin wont starve to death. Anyhow I thought I would share my story. might be lame to some but.....

015-5.jpg

011-5.jpg

002-7.jpg

004-10.jpg

012-6.jpg

i have had cleaners and peppermint shrimp with eggs all the time and had never seen them hatch. but then again i had lots of fish in the past. this new tank has few fish but am happy to see that they have hatched and growing. my fish consist of the following:

purple tang, sailfin tang, percula, starry blenny, sixline wrasse, mandarin. thats it. only time will tell. if they survive then we will have to trade or sell some off. i will keep everyone posted as this progresses

Way cool. I see egg sacks on my cleaner shrimp and peppermints but have never saw babies.

Back