Say it isn't so!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

This is pretty confusing as to if it is a pest or harmless. I get them in my sump and keep zapping them, now Im confused as to what they are ;-(

I have something similar in my BioCube, I thought they were aiptasia too. I didn't kill them bc the little dots on their tentacles glow and look neat in the moonlights. They don't seem to be multiplying so I left them.

I will post a pic when I can, post count is too low. :(

B753D181-5254-47BC-A3C3-83BE1058878E-2600-000002C840997B19.jpg

Nope, scared to touch them. I heard when they get touched they let loose hundreds of spores or w/e it is they lay.

I didnt mean do it in the tank. I meant take the rock out and see if it would pop off the rock or if it was buried in a skeleton or in a hole. There is one small one in the pic that looks like it would pop off easy. It might give you an idea as to whether it was an anemone or a coral of some kind.

Here is one: Melevsreef.com - Cup Coral
If you google clear cup coral you can find a few more in the image search.
edit: and so is the link above

Aptasia have tentacles that are tapered to a point.
Cup coral have tentacles that are slightly tapered, but have a white ball on the end. They also produce hard skeleton, though sometimes the polyps will bail out and move.

Thanks for the link. It says its reef safe too.

I would almost think they would be a good part of your clean up crew especially under that rock. I would leave them. If you don't like the looks, turn the rock around. They are obviously not photosynthetic, so it wont kill them to be under the rock or in the dark.

I agree on the pseudocorynactis. A good sign in a mature reef. As to why it looks like a nem, coral polyps and nems are almost identicle being VERY closely related in the same family

It is a pest anemone but no need to panic..nothing like aptaisa..some squirt of kalk u are good..if I remember right they call them glass anemones..have some myself for years..nuke whenI can get to them..no panic

It is a pest anemone but no need to panic..nothing like aptaisa..some squirt of kalk u are good..if I remember right they call them glass anemones..have some myself for years..nuke whenI can get to them..no panic

Now I thought glass anemones is just another name for and were aiptasia.

Well that is a relief. Seeing as the rock they are all attached to is the same rock my anemone has decided to make home... I guess I will just be moving the whole rock with it to the new tank when the time comes! (I have tried moving the rock around the tank and turning it over different ways, but the anemone wont move to a different rock!)

I have these in my seahorse tank, I thought they were ball anemones.... In my experience they do not seem to multiply rapidly, i saw one initially a year or more ago. Got up to 3, sucked one up during a water change so have 2 now. Also when they multiply they seem to stay real close to each other, no spreading around the tank.

Back