Say Something Bad

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i have the 24" version with 4 T5s and 150w halide and i love it wish i had gone with the 250w but as for how the fixture works its awsome in my opinion, but if you have a canopy thats big enough to put retro kit or hang lumenarcs in then that would probably be cheaper...

Could you put a canopy over this design? I ask because im stuck without a tank for a period and need these lights for my transistion tank as well.... I like this setup and thanks for the positive words, glad it is nice. Do you use the bulbs it came with or did you upgrade

They come with hanging kits, built in fans & Timers, how cool is that! They should mount in a hood nicely!

Whats Included
Each Outer Orbit HQI/T5HO fixture features PowerPaq 10,000K HQI lamp(s), SlimPaq T5HO Actinic 420nm & 460nm lamps, cooling fans, glass lens, German parabolic Powerwrap & hammertone reflectors, docking mounts, hanging kit and automatic timers. 150 watt fixtures feature internal electronic ballast HQI driving system, 250 watt fixtures feature remote fan-cooled magnetic ballast HQI driving systems.

They're a good product. My only concern would be the availability of DE bulbs in your part of the world...DE bulbs are scarce in St Louis, and that was one thing that turned me off of them. I had a bad bulb go, and it was going to be a few weeks before I could get a new one due to production issues.....

Not a deal breaker in any sense of the word, but something to keep in mind...

Nick

Could you put a canopy over this design? I ask because im stuck without a tank for a period and need these lights for my transistion tank as well.... I like this setup and thanks for the positive words, glad it is nice. Do you use the bulbs it came with or did you upgrade

Jiddy,

There are alot of better reflector options nowadays. Unless your specifically looking for a all in one solution you can definatly get better for much less.

Don

I agree with the retro=more bang for the buck. What im trying to do is have lights now and then when my tank is delivered.... I think it will actually be wiser to get a cheap setup now and buy retros when the canopy is around. I think this thread has lead me to that conclusion. I really wanted a nice lumenarc reflector anyways, lol.

It is as easy doing a retro & an all in one really as far as mounting & installing goes. Instead of buying cheapies, spend the $600 now & retro:)

I dont have the time or the money (or patience) to deal with retro at the moment. I do know that is the best way to go.

For a cheap unit, the one Surf Buddy rec., can that run any brand HQI bulb?

I dont have the time or the money (or patience) to deal with retro at the moment. I do know that is the best way to go.

For a cheap unit, the one Surf Buddy rec., can that run any brand HQI bulb?

Retrofits are really easy to install and are usually quite a bit cheaper than a "all in one" hood. Check out www.hellolights.com and price out their retrofit halide/t5s. As far as the odyssea light, I have one on my clown tank and you definitely get what you pay for.

i personally changed out the 10k bulb it came with for a 14k pheonix and i think when this one is ready to go ill do a 20k reeflux i like the blue look much better the T5s im just going to use untill they burn and then buy some different bulbs...

yeah much cheaper way would be retro that one you selected seems like a decent buy...only reason i decided to go with curent outer orbit was the fact that i wanted suplemental attinics and i wanted halides and i could have made a hood to hang above the tank but its a rimless so i decided to get this and just hang it from the ceiling it looks fairly nice.

ive heard that the icecaps are nice...never used them but ill probably go with icecap when i get my 100gal. up and running.

I used IceCap 430's w/ my VHO's and have always had good customer service. The guy I went thru is retired AF (im AF) so we end up BSing for a while and I get my ballast fixed fast & easy. ((They are old so I got them fixed twice, good product thou!))

Back