Votes: 7 18.9%
  • SB

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • BB

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters

Brenden

See Anemaknee
Just wondering what people had. I am still trying to decide what to put in my new tank. Getting a new tank has opened the door for a major overhaul of the dining room and kitchen so I have some time to debate.:rolleyes:

Its on what kind of rock work you want.
open rock work i would go with SSB.
Wall type rock work BB.
I dont like DSB.
You can vac SSB and BB you can have some flow on the bottom of the tank to sespend the detrites.
I had a BB tank for years that worket great.The only reason i went with SSB is, that i dont like alot of stareboard or
glass showing.

I am considering BB but I just like the look of sand over the bare glass. I know Ron and Krish will chime in soon with the praises of BB:) Mike is yours a DSB or SB? I have a 3" bed in my 525.
I guess I should have included CC as a option but I would not even considered it.

Hi Brenden I have a 3" sand bed voted the SB I have Leopard Wrasse's and Pistols shrimps I don't think they would be to happy If i didn't I have been told its allot more up keep. But I just love the look and I cant imagine going BB...Jeff

Mine is a shallow bed of mixed very fine and regular aragonite sand. Maybe couple inches at the deepest and some places none at all. Looks great, stays clean enough while food enough for my sand sifter.

i used to keep sand in all of my tanks..i don't have any now....once coralline starts to grow on the bottom, i think it looks fine..it's definitley cleaner!!! ok, Krish, now it's your turn!!LOL

Last edited:
All of the bottom options have their pro's and con's. As long as we understand what those are when we decide which way we want our tanks... I believe its all good.

I chose Bare-Bottom. In that choice, I understood that my decision was limiting me on which type of animals I would be able to keep. As beautiful as Carpet or Sebae anemones are, I understood they wouldn't be happy in a bare-bottom system... as well as several types fishes, and clean-up crew.

I have a pretty thin sand bed - probably less than an inch covering the bottom. It's just for looks with me. I've been debating going w/ BB myself.

I have about an inch of small sand with crushed coral on top to help with sand storms from my PH's. I like the nice white look of the fine crushed coral. and the critters and worms and stuff like having it on top of the sand because I have noticed alot more sand critters at night since I added the crushed coral.
Erik

not sure how SB is but I voted that. my 120g sps tank has about a 3" sand bed as far as the deepest depth and it's not in all places that deep. Just gotta have me some sand.

You voted right. Your tank sounds like mine. I think Ron likes bare bottoms due to him hanging around Krish.:D

I like the look of SB, I miss the critters that come with a SB. But LOW maintenance and less troubles that come with BB is probably the biggest reason I like BB the best. It literally takes me 20 mins to clean and change my water. once every 2 weeks I Just put a filter sock in my sump and vacuum the water right into the sump through the filter sock.

I like the look of SB, I miss the critters that come with a SB. But LOW maintenance and less troubles that come with BB is probably the biggest reason I like BB the best. It literally takes me 20 mins to clean and change my water. once every 2 weeks I Just put a filter sock in my sump and vacuum the water right into the sump through the filter sock.

Basically how & why I like the BB!
I thought of putting a layer of CC very thin & then seal it to make a smooth surface so it would just look like it has a SB in it.

Back