Schuran Jetstream

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I was wondering if anyone had a opinion of these reactors and the media. How often are you refilling it? Is the design actually as efficient as they claim?

Don

I use one and am happy with it for the most part. I think I've been refilling it about every 6 months.

As far as efficiency, I can't really say... it seems to be as I barely use any CO2 and the pH remains about 6.3 steady.

mattseattle said:
I use one and am happy with it for the most part. I think I've been refilling it about every 6 months.

As far as efficiency, I can't really say... it seems to be as I barely use any CO2 and the pH remains about 6.3 steady.

Any Idea how many 5lb per year you go through?

Thanks
Don

My first 5 lb bottle only lasted 3 months and the reason was I had a leak in around one of my nozzles. Yes, I know I didn't leak test it. :( I learned my lesson. The 2nd bottle has lasted me about 9 months so far and it's still between 500 and 750 on the gauge so it looks like it's only about half empty right now. i'm only pushing about 40 - 50 bubbles a minute.

mattseattle said:
The only major negative to the reactor is how non-userfriendly it is to change out the media.

My understanding was that the media didnt clog and mush up like arm. Really should never need to be changed, only topped off. Is this correct? I do have five lbs of the stuff, the theory sound good if it works?

Don

yeah, it totally breaks down with very very little residue. i change out/refill the media when it gets down to about a 1/4 full. so that is why i call it changing out as i don't let the chamber get completely empty. the chamber has 4 bolts on the top and 4 on the bottom and you remove those then the chamber slides out. it's not the most convenient way to do it but it does work as you have to drain the reactor completely of water.

I have a jetstream 1 as well. I only have it 6 months and have never changed the media. It is half way down at this time. It takes considerable tweeking in order to avoid air buildup in the main tube. I still have not perfected it. I have a 10lb CO2 bottle. But it really does keep the calcium and alk up in a 150 gal. The amount and frequency of change depends on the size of the tank and load.

Matt, do you let yours get down to 1/4 full of media?

I let mine get down to about 1/4 or whenever I noticed a drop in the reactor keeping up with the alk/calc.

yeah I had issue keeping the air buildup out of the main tube but i gave up on that. how did you resolve it?

I increased the output flow which seems to reduce the buildup a little, but it never fully resolves it. Bleeding the air is only a temporary solution. So, like you I have learned to tolerate it.

You guys need to drill a hole in the top and tap it for a JG fitting, then you run a line from that and T it into one of the intake lines going into the pump, this will make a c02 recirc loop. I am assuming that it dosn't already have one.

big t said:
You guys need to drill a hole in the top and tap it for a JG fitting, then you run a line from that and T it into one of the intake lines going into the pump, this will make a c02 recirc loop. I am assuming that it dosn't already have one.

Tom,
Its already got one. I think they are the ones that actually started the recirc loop thing.

Don

it already has one but over time it seems to build up and you have an air space at the top of the reactor.

mattseattle said:
it already has one but over time it seems to build up and you have an air space at the top of the reactor.

My understanding of the recirc area is that if you have a heavily stocked tank and run a fast drip rate accumulation is not a problem. If not you need to PULL through the reactor to overcome the problem.

Don

that is what i've read. i use a perilistatic (sorry if i spelled that wrong) to pull water through my reactor. i love it for accuracy. i still get build up either way. i've tried pulling water through it and i've tried pushing water through it. the past 3 days though since i did some maintenance on it the build up as not occured. what did i do different - nothing that i know of...it's the same o' routine.

Back